extremely bitter sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
so 7 months ago i started a my first brew its a sour that i started with roselair. just like everyone said it was going to be a bit bland unless i added dregs.
at 5 months i i made 3 separate gallons of variants and bottled two gallons.
the two gallons that was bottled is awesome with the brett just coming threw now.
The other 3 gallons i added a different fruit for each gallon )yellow plum, dragon fruit/mango)7 grams oak(soaked in water with water discarded). and 1/3 oz aged hops.
I tested then yesterday and they are horribly bitter i couldn't even finish the gravity sample. They taste like hops and grapefruit rinds and pure tanin.
Is this because i poured it threw the layers of fruit oak and hops? Will it be different when its all mixed together in a bottling bucket?
or do you guys think i should do something to doctor the bitterness before bottling?
cheers.

Be careful of a fungal infection from the fruits. All 3 of those fruits have some difficult to spot issues with certain fungus that will particularly funk up your beer.

If you are confident there is not any mold or fungal infection then I would say you should blend the current 3 gallons with a couple gallons of some fresh wort to make the brew more palatable.

Well i'm not confident, i dun how i could be? The fruit is not visibly moldy as far as green or black and i see no hair. Anyway for me to tell?
if it is infected can i pasteurize or boil to sterilize and then blend? I also am thinking some non fermentable glycerin could help equal out the bitter.

so i just went back to look at them,on closer inspection i see some small white dots on the fruit. but this is a sour that had a pretty funky pellical before i even added the fruit.

P1130308.JPG

Last edited:
Okay some do's and don'ts. I am not sure fresh wort would be ideal now that I really think about it. Because you don't know how that brew will develop and how the overall palate will be... You should just brew up a batch that is not soured or you could kettle sour it. But since you have such an intense sour beer I would avoid it. In the spirit of making this a more palatable beer for you I would say give this a try, not a "lets do this every time" So:

Brew up a beer that is not soured. Ferment it, and then pull a 100ml Sample. Pull 100ml sample of your super sour.

I would then add at a 1:5 ratio Super:NonSour and give it a taste. Let the brew come into its own complex blend of flavors

So with a 5ml Syringe pull samples into different glasses. Snifters are Ideal
1:5 - which would be 1 Gal to 5 Gal
1:4, 1:3, 1:2, 1:1
Drink them at room temp, not chilled

Once you decide your favorite blend transfer them together in a single vessel and let the funky stuff do its funky thing and chew up those last few gravity points left in that beer, then bottle away. As always use a high quality bottle that is made for high carbed brews.

Another option is to serve the beer like a Berliner weisse and just put simple syrup with a fruit of choice that complements the brew and blend it in every glass.

I do want to say, if the beer tastes like: Urine, Wet dog, Mousy, Burnt Hair, Plastic, Band-aid, Cardboard, vomit & bile, cheerios, or sweaty feet just let those gallons go.

Thank you for the input i believe i will try to blend them into a fresh brew and see what ratio works best.
I wish my brew was a super sour but its just super bitter . The first smell and taste i get is barnyard brett followed by an intense citrus rind bitter.That bitterness stays on your tongue well after you sip it. i can pin point hop acid and oak tanins in the bitterness but i used such small amounts i didnt think it would have a negative effect.

there is no way that all that bitterness is just on top right? i only poured out enough to take a gravity sample. and thats what i taste tested. its 5% alc btw

ehh kinda but not spot on there might be some pear flavor but the bitterness is so strong it covers it up. I do get a flavor thats remind me of cider but no apple flavor. My girlfriend said she slightly smells cherries .I did share one with a friend that said he tasted "skunked" hops so maybe the old hops i used are doing something weird. I used aged hops on purpose because that what research seemed to indicate was best for sours.
It taste astringent like tiny wild cherries, the one you wouldn't eat.I have described these cherries as ear wax flavored to people.
other then that i brewed the base beer very light and inexpensive so i'm thinking the oak was super abusive because the my base was not sweet enough to balance out what i put in . I have read it can subside in a few months.Thank you so much for the ester table.
any way last night after seeing the white stuff on top of the fruit i decided to get it off the fruit/oak and hops. i went to trader joes and bought two bottles of pure cherry juice one sweet and one tart.i blended everything together.It is now tertiary fermentation in 3 separate gallons that will get dregs from 3 different bottles. i knocked up two already and i need to drink something for the 3rd.
back lighting on the last pic to enhance the color.

bfpAA.jpg

P1130331.JPG

P1130333.JPG

P1130329.JPG

so i was wondering if i can if i could make fruit sugar non fermentable by burning them. simialr to a F-pack in wine brewing?

Back