Extreme foam -- for the third time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrrrl

Reaction score
This happened with my first two Saisons and now again with my Scotch Ale. I opened the bottles and once it sets for a moment, it will just continue to foam out the bottle for several minutes. I thought the problem with the first two was too much priming sugar but I got it just right with this last one. Its high in alcohol so I know that is a contributing factor but really, every single bottle, several minutes of foaming.

Why!?

How long have they been in the bottles before opening them? Are you chilling them before you open them and for how long? Are you using a hydrometer to determine that fermentation is truly complete before you bottle? All these factors have a bearing on foaming.

They were bottled for over two weeks, were in the fridge for a couple of days. I didn't take another reading with the hydrometer. I guess I need to be a little more thorough if I am going to want answers to my questions!

I haven't had this but friends have said foaming comes from contamination. Double check your sterilization process.

I didn't take another reading with the hydrometer.

Depending on how long they were in primary you may have bottled too soon and you're going to get gushers.

Or it's still just too soon and the carbonation hasn't locked in yet. Watch poindexter's video in there for an idea of carbonation development over time.

Maybe what you are experiencing is what he shows in the first couple beers he opens. Your carbonation is not truly locked in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had this but friends have said foaming comes from contamination. Double check your sterilization process.

That's really a worst case scenario, and since it's really hard to ruin your beer, more than likely it is one of the things I mentioned. We get stuff like this every day on here, and 99.99% of the time they turn out fine, like most of the "Is my beer infected threads."

Gushing from infections tend to be late onset, meaning your last few bottles a couple months down the line start gushing, NOT at two weeks.

Back