Extract Whit thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCatBrewery

Reaction score
I'm making an extract Belgian Whit tomorrow, and in order to keep it lighter in color, I'm going to withhold some of my malt until the end of the boil. But this got me thinking . . . I only need about 20mins of boil time to get the IBU's I want out of my hops . . . so do I need to boil it any longer than that?

It would seem that limiting my boil time would also keep it lighter . . . but my hunch is that more is happening in a boil than hop bittering. Thoughts and knowledge welcome.

Recipe is pretty simple:

5 lbs Wheat Dry Extract [60/40]
1 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %]
0.75 oz Coriander Seed
0.75 oz Orange Peel
Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463)

A 20 minute boil for this would be fine, I did the same when I was doing all extract and it worked well. Wit biers are one of my favorite styles. Add your spice/orange additions the last 5 minutes of the boil. Good luck!

That's what I ended up doing. Not sure it's that much lighter from it's predecessor, but it always looks dark in the bucket.

Good, it should end up a little lighter, probably not that much but a little anyway. I've never used the Wyeast #3463, have you tried it before? I've always used White Labs 400, just because that's what my local store carries.

I was in the exact opposite position about 4 years ago. All I've ever used (Belgian wise) is the 3463. Makes a great Wit . . . I'm going to wash the yeast and try it on a Dark Belgian Strong that I intend on aging until Octoberish.

BigCatBrewery said:
I was in the exact opposite position about 4 years ago. All I've ever used (Belgian wise) is the 3463. Makes a great Wit . . . I'm going to wash the yeast and try it on a Dark Belgian Strong that I intend on aging until Octoberish.

Sounds great. Enjoy it!

Back