Extract Weihenstephan - water calculation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiav8or

Reaction score
Hello,

My home water is not conducive to brewing wheat beers. I balance it for others, but for wheat beers I use mostly distilled water and build it to the profile I want.

I'm going a quick extract brew this weekend.

My question - I want to get as close to Weihenstephan as possible. Should I use distilled water and build to the profile of the beer? To Munich water? Suggestions?

Thanks!

It’s widely known, (and taught in school at W) that the brewery has an ion exchanger at one brewery, RO in the other. They then strip all oxygen with a vortex/o2-stripper.

Breweries using tap water a very large myth.

Last edited:
It’s widely known, (and taught in school at W) that the brewery has an ion exchanger at one brewery, RO in the other. They then strip all oxygen with a vortex/o2-stripper.

Breweries using tap water a very large myth.
Good info - and interesting.

So......the answer then is? Distilled water if I'm reading your answer correctly....?

The water quality across much of southern Bavaria is consistent. You can consider Munich water to be similar to what they once used at Weihenstephen.

My question - I want to get as close to Weihenstephan as possible. Should I use distilled water and build to the profile of the beer? To Munich water? Suggestions?

You can't possibly match any target water profile in an extract beer, unless the extract manufacturer tells you their water profile. All those minerals are in your extract. IMO the reasonable approach is to use RO or distilled water when brewing extract batches.

I don’t count a carbon filter as some sort of water treatment system. If you do then yes I’m wrong.

But using “tap” water that’s not stripped of its minerals and then rebuilt is pretty standard.

But yeah most will add salts in some shape or form to adjust profile.

They use their “tap” water and adjust with acid/salts from there.

I misconstrued what you were getting at.

Back