extract vs mini mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
As a noob I started w/ mini mash (AHBS Budget IPA) really screwed up on it and thought it said to top off to 6gal...ended up w/ odd taste, only way to explain it is thin "champagne" mouth feel, was extra bubbly. 2nd batch was AHBS Arogant bastard clone...got awesome reviews. This mini mash was nailed OG wise. Used blow off, double pitched BRY97. secondary to clarify. Third batch was NB Deadringer Ale which only came in extract kit. Re-pitched BRY97 from arrogant clone. As of today, Arrogant clone has been bottled for 4 wks. I have tasted each week just to see the evolve of taste, thought it was really "promising" as a green beer at 1 week. I am really let down today, 4 wks later there is minimal improvement. Still a weird "light" mouth feel to it...only way I can explain it....tried the Deadringer after 2wks in bottle and Hallelujah...finally an awesome tasting beer that was worth my time. I only have a few batches to compare...but thinking may have a prob with mini mash? I think I might try Arrogant as extract and see how it compares. I keep temps at 150 to 165 for 45 min's during the mash....Figured if OG is on point it should be how beer should taste? Maybe difference b/w AHBS and NB?

Back