extract to BIAB to MLT to EBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
Hi,
This might be a longish post.

I saw the homepage article and it got me thinking a bit.

Like many I started brewing with extract, and then wanted more control than the ready made extract kit's allowed, and in South Africa the options for unhopped extract are either imported extract that is usually a bit on the older side or something you have to import yourself. So I wanted into AG, but I didn't want to spend too much before knowing if I'm going to stick with brewing, so read about BIAB (propane non-automated) and tried it, loved the method, the simplicity and the fact that I could try any recipe on HBT that I could find ingredients for. After a while I wondered if the guys and gals using MLT don't make better beer, I knew they could use smaller pots than a I had. So I build a cooler mash tun and started brewing larger batches and enjoyed it as well, but missed the easy clean up I had had with BIAB. I then got a cheapish Urn kettle and modified it a bit so I can recirculate. Thus far I'm very happy with this method. I can't honestly say I found any of the methods better than the others, at best I can say I like the KISS principle.
Has anyone else gone through phases of brewing where you switch from one method to another?

Went from my first hopped extract kit with a stovetop 5 gallon pot. Next 5 batches did LME and steeping grains. Got a couple 10.5 gallon pots and a bayou classic double propane and started doing ~7 lb partial mashes + however much extract I needed to make up the recipe. In short order, moved to AG BIAB - which wasn't a huge stretch from my PM batches. I love the process with what I'm using, as well as the end result. At this point I don't have any desire to change much of my process. I mostly focus on healthy yeast starters, oxygenation, precise temp control from mash through fermentation, etc. My next endeavor is to start messing around with water adjustments to see how it improves my beer. I have gone back to stovetop extract and small PM batches a few times while my AG equipment was in storage (and after knowing much more about temp control and other variables), and found the quality to be MUCH better than in my early days, but I still enjoy the process of AG in the end. As far as equipment used to get there, I say use whatever you most enjoy using. For me, I like as low-tech and simple as possible. I also find the very complex and technical setups fascinating - just not for me in my own brewing. There's so many ways to get to the same end.

I did 2 extract batches, then went to the water cooler MT and 10 gallon boil kettle for maybe 10 batches. Then went crazy and built a 3 keggle fully electric set up. I brewed probably 20 batches on it, 5 and 10 gallon batches. I changed jobs and my free time that I had was cut dramatically. I invested in a 20 gallon Brew Boss system with COFI filter. I love the new set up and absolutely love the ease of cleaning and small amount of space taken up by equipment. And the beer is just as good :) I have no desire to go back to a 3 vessel system, or heck, even a 2 vessel system any time soon.

I did extract with steeping grains first on the stove in the kitchen. I then did a few partial mash recipes, also in the kitchen. I then made a mash tun and got 2 propane burners and rigged a 3 tier gravity system. After that I made it more permanent on my enclosed porch. After that I tried BIAB, 3 gallon batches. Of all I prefer my 3 tier system. I find it much easier to clean than the BIAB. Dump the tun in the compost, rinse it out - done.... It is a lot harder to get the grain off the BIAB bag.

If I upgrade to electric it will be, in order of choice, with money as no object, 3 vessel, Brew-Boss or Grainfather.

If you ever go with a Brew-Boss, get the COFI filter, it rinses off very easily.

I did extract with steeping grains first on the stove in the kitchen. I then did a few partial mash recipes, also in the kitchen. I then made a mash tun and got 2 propane burners and rigged a 3 tier gravity system. After that I made it more permanent on my enclosed porch. After that I tried BIAB, 3 gallon batches. Of all I prefer my 3 tier system. I find it much easier to clean than the BIAB. Dump the tun in the compost, rinse it out - done.... It is a lot harder to get the grain off the BIAB bag.

If I upgrade to electric it will be, in order of choice, with money as no object, 3 vessel, Brew-Boss or Grainfather.

I used to wash and reuse the bags (ordered off of AHS). I don't brew frequently enough, so now I just get the 2-pack paint strainer bags at lowes or Home Depot, and toss after use. There are cheap, do the job just fine, and not worth the hassle for me. Makes clean up real easy! [emoji16]

Back