Extract to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbysdad2006

Reaction score
Ok, I've searched and have not found what i'm looking for. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I've got a recipe that has two different DME's in it, I'm looking to convert them into grain. I know how to convert a single extract but not quiet sure how two works. It has 6# golden light dme and 3# amber dme, also 4oz crystal 60, 2oz 2-row chocolate. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Ok, I've searched and have not found what i'm looking for. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I've got a recipe that has two different DME's in it, I'm looking to convert them into grain. I know how to convert a single extract but not quiet sure how two works. It has 6# golden light dme and 3# amber dme, also 4oz crystal 60, 2oz 2-row chocolate. Any help would be great.
Thanks

It's tough, because no one knows what's in amber DME. Well, the manufacturer knows, but won't say. You can guess that there is crystal malt in there, but what kind and the amount would be impossible to say for sure. Since your recipe has 4 oz of crystal 60, and it seems like it's a darker beer (amber colored or darker), you can guess that there would probably be crystal malt, with some two row. So, since 1 pound grain = roughly .6 pound of DME and you have 3 pounds there, call it .5 pound crystal malt and 1.3 pound of two row. But that's only a guess for the first time. If you know the beer style, and the desired color, you can guess which type/color of crystal malt, but it's probably 40L or 60L.

You need to know the expected fermentability, srm, and malt flavors. Otherwise just trial and error.

Sorry, should have said what it was for.
6 lbs. Light DME
3 lbs. Amber DME
4 oz. C60L
2 oz. Chocolate

Hops
1 oz. Cascade, 60 minutes
1 oz. Fuggles, 60 minutes
1 oz. Goldings, 10 minutes
1 oz. Tettnanger, 10 minutes

OG 1069, FG 1017, IBU 31, SRM 12

+1^

So you have a pretty hoppy amber ale there. Look up some recipes for ambers and compare with their malt bill. You'll need some maltiness and residual sweetness to balance the hops and be "to style." An FG of 1.017 sounds a bit high for all grain, but is not unusual for extract (dreaded 1.020 finish). I'd aim for 1.012-1.014.

Either from drying or condensing, or added Carapils, extract has quite a load of unfermentables. You can mimic that by adding some Carapils. A recipe calculator comes in handy, like BeerSmith or an online one.

I've come up with this, it's a little high in OG. Tell me what you think.

13.25# Pale 2 Row
1.5# C50L
2.5 oz Chocolate

1.0 oz Fuggle 60m
1.0 oz Cascade 60m
0.5 oz Tettnanger 2m
0.5 oz Goldings 2m

Yeast
WLP007

Doing this I came up with
1.082 OG
1.021 FG
33 IBU
8.1 ABV
12 SRM

I've come up with this, it's a little high in OG. Tell me what you think.

13.25# Pale 2 Row
1.5# C50L
2.5 oz Chocolate

1.0 oz Fuggle 60m
1.0 oz Cascade 60m
0.5 oz Tettnanger 2m
0.5 oz Goldings 2m

Yeast
WLP007

Doing this I came up with
1.082 OG
1.021 FG
33 IBU
8.1 ABV
12 SRM

+1 for Yooper's amber!

Instead of 1.5# of C50, I prefer to layer the crystal and specialty malts, using at least 3 or 4 different ones. It's an amber, malts need to shine! Replacing 20-30% of 2-row with Vienna is a nice touch too.

The FG of 1.021 sounds a bit high. Mashing at 152?

Fwiw...
I've found that using Munich, Vienna, and pale ale with less Crystal has given me desired malt flavors with the fermentability I desire. I usually like my beers on the drier side of the style.

Back