Quantcast

Extract to All Grain - Please Critique prospective Puchase

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Duckfoot

Reaction score
I am sure either will suit you, depending on batch size of course... However, if you are mechanically inclined with a little DIY spirit, you can prolly save some $$$ buy looking up some of the build threads here...

Good luck!
:mug:

calbrew

Reaction score
I am sure either will suit you, depending on batch size of course... However, if you are mechanically inclined with a little DIY spirit, you can prolly save some $$$ buy looking up some of the build threads here...

Good luck!
:mug:
Agree. I just switched over to AG. I think you could save some bucks by building your own. My setup was less money than that and was fun to build.:drunk:

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Even if you don't want to go down to Home Depot and buy parts, you could still just buy a 5 gallon cooler and a weldless cooler fitting from bargainfittings and save a ton of money, and it takes maybe one minute to stick the thing on there.

I also don't really understand the point of the cooler HLT like that. Maybe if it had an electric heating element and a temperature controller it would make more sense. But, as shown in that setup you still have to heat up the HLT water to specific temps when you are mashing. So, putting it in that cooler is just adding extra unnecessary steps to your brewing process.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you have thoughts of bigger batches, get some large vessels to start with. I had always planned for 10-gallon batches so I got a 10-gallon cooler for my MLT. Now I realize after a 1.070 IPA that that is the largest beer at 10-gallons I will be able to do with this cooler.

Think it through so you don't find yourself needing an upgrade too soon. I would definately go larger than 5-gallon coolers even for 5-gal batches. Good luck with all grain! I love it!

chemman14

Reaction score
Yeah, I would just buy a 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler, a cooler set from bargainfittings.com. get a stainless steel braid and forget about fly sparging. Just batch sparge. Its much easier, doesn't take as long. And you dont really lose any efficiency if you do it right