Extract to All grain conversion - Frodo Baggins Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBeer

Reaction score
I found a version of this recipe online and have tweaked it to match my needs but I am now focusing on all grain so I am looking for some advice in converting this to all grain. This has been in the top 2 of all the beer I have every made.

Frodo Baggins Brown

3.3 Lbs x-light liquid extract
2 lbs light dry extract
4 cups Brown sugar
.5 Lbs 60l Crystal
.5 Lbs 40L Crystal
6 oz Chocolate Malt
1 Chocolate bar broken into chunks in the bottom of the primary fermenter

2 oz Yakima Goldings for 80 Min
1 oz Fuggles for 5 Min
Irish moss 10 min

English ale yeast

1 oz Fuggles dry hop

3/4 cup corn sugar

Steep crushed malts in 2-3 gallons of water at 150º for 30 minutes. Remove grains from wort. When boiling starts, remove pot from burner and add 1/2malt syrup and bring to a boil. Add 2 oz Goldings hops, add Irish moss with 10 min’s left on boil, and add 1 oz fuggle hops with 5 min. left on boil. Then add remainder of Malt syrup, dry malt extract and brown sugar - stir to mix, wait 10 minutes to sanitize.

1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary

Beersmith says:

6 lbs 6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
6 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
1 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)

Simple. The only thing which changes is where the extract comes from.* You use less malt extract than pale malt to get the same gravity contribution.

Roughly, the conversion is 1 lb pale malt = 0.75 lb malt extract syrup = 0.6 lb dry malt extract.

You've got 3.3 lbs LME. 3.3 x 1.25 = 4.125
You've got 2 lbs DME. 2 * 1.4 = 2.8

Thus, you need 6.925 lbs of pale malt. Were I you, I'd round it up to 7 lbs.

Hops and specialty grains amounts remain the same. Additions remain the same. The only other variable is if the original malt extract recipe called for a concentrated wort boil; if so, you'll need to reduce your main bittering charge slightly.

Cheers!

Bob

* This can be confusing if you don't know the right words. The fermentable sugars you get from pale malt are called 'extract'. Don't let it get to you. :D

Beersmith says:

6 lbs 6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
6 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
1 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)

I was just trying to find the conversion tool in BeerSmith for an extract Hefe recipe. But, it ain't jumping out at me. I could probably do some calculation on this like is suggested in this thread, but how do you do it in BeerSmith?

It's up at the top in the menu bar:

beersmith.jpg

Back