Extract to AG conversion question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
So I'm planning on remaking this recipe again for Christmas (I like getting started early, ok?) except I want to do it all grain this time. My extract version used 6.6 lbs Light LME and 3.3 lbs Amber LME, how would I go about converting that to all grain?? What grains can I assume they used to make the Amber different from the Light?? Any help would b much appreciated, thanks!

It depends what malts are available to you. Most grains of an appropriate colour will give you a better flavour than extract. Pale malt extract could be replaced with pilsner malt, ale malt or many others.

With the amber, maybe look at something with a bit of richness as that seems to be a rich beer. Vienna malt is nice and toasty so maybe that plus adding in some extra caramel/crystal malts for sweetness and colour or even some munich . Play around in software till you get the appropriate colour.

Alternatively take some pale malt and roast your own: http://www.brewery.org/library/roastmaltGC.html

Back