Extract SMaSH IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corvax13

Reaction score
Hey everyone

On a whim last night I decided to gather a couple left over ingredients and brew some beer.

I did an experimental 1g of IPA, just to see how it would turn out. Here's my recipe -

1.5 lbs LME
1oz Fuggles (30mins)
1oz Fuggles (1min).

Since I only had 1g of water, it boiled pretty quick, and since the boil only lasted 30 minutes, this was a very quick, no hassle brew - cooking dinner at the same time took slightly longer.

Has anyone else tried some quick experimental batches? What have your results been? If good, please share recipes - I think I might try to get some more 1g and 3g fermenters, that way if my experiments go wrong at least I dont have a full 5g batch of it. :p

+1 and subscribed.

I'm interested in various stoudts, bitters, and cream ale but don't want to have to brew 5 gallon batches to taste.

By the way, what does SMaSH stand for? I've seen it a few times now and I always wondered.

Since LME is usually made from several different malts, shouldn't these be called SMESH? Single Malt Extract Single Hop.

Since LME is usually made from several different malts, shouldn't these be called SMESH? Single Malt Extract Single Hop.

Yes indeed you are correct, perhaps a moderator can change my thread name.

Little 1g jug is churning away nicely, probably going to leave it in there for about 10 days then just bottle. Its such a small amount and simple recipe I doubt it will need more than that.

By the way, in case anyone was wandering, I am calling this an IPA because according to Beer Calculus this will turn out to that style - we'll see if the flavour is worth the name though. . .

Yes indeed you are correct, perhaps a moderator can change my thread name.

Little 1g jug is churning away nicely, probably going to leave it in there for about 10 days then just bottle. Its such a small amount and simple recipe I doubt it will need more than that.

By the way, in case anyone was wandering, I am calling this an IPA because according to Beer Calculus this will turn out to that style - we'll see if the flavour is worth the name though. . .

you could always call it E-SMaSH.

With the ratio of malt extract to hop, I think it will end up pretty bitter.

I hadn't heard of SMaSH or SMESH until today. I think I might try this for my next beer. Everyone says pale ales are the easiest to do, but I was wondering if it would be possible to brew a Kolsh style? The hops shouldn't be a problem, but without adding any wheat or vienna to the base malt would it still even be called a Kolsh? When I move up to all grain brewing SMaSH should help me brew a few simple batches before I move on to something bigger and more complex brews.

Cool idea- I've never heard of Smash, and I think I'll give it a try after work one night. What yeast did you use and how much?

The great thing about doing your own beer is you can do whatever you want, but my concern would be if I really liked this. I only brewed one gallon and it still took nearly the same amount of time as a 5 gallon batch.

So far I've been lucky and liked all but the first two batches I have brewed. Those were mostly due to high pitch temperatures and doing about everything wrong. Plus one was a pre-hopped canned extract which I vowed never to try again. other than that I would drink everythnig I have made.. and have :)

That's Timing. I am ready to bottle my Smesh. I did a 4 gallon batch of APA using 4 lbs of amber lme and 1oz of fuggles at 60 1/2 oz fuggles at 20 and 0. Put it in two mr. beer fermenters and pitched WL london ale yeast and Safale 04 respectivly

I'm doing a one gallon sour ale, since I didn't want to tie up a 5 gallon fermenter for the full year of aging. Here's the recipe I'm going with

??? lbs of Amber LME
1 oz of Hallertau Hops
Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend/Wyeast 5335 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii

I don't know how much extract I'm going to need for this recipe, but I'll probably use 1.5 lbs, based on what you're doing. I also think I'll only pitch half of the two activators I purchased if that.

After I tried some Rodenbach over the weekend, I realize I should have purchased a darker malt extract. I hope it still turns out well. :confused:

Yessir, OTownPyle who made up kSMaSH on Twitter and who I recently found on HBT: http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/otownpyle

Full credit to him.

Yes i coined the term... Kinda reminds me of KFed now that I look at it. HAHa... @finnious did a kSMaSH the day we came up w/ it. I think he used the same Hop you used in your SMaSH blog. ready to see how it comes out.

The "growler bomb" issue only exists for screw top growlers. The ones that have a grolsch style top are suited for pressure

Really. Ok. I have no first hand experience, but on of the comments in that link I posted referred to the thickness of the glass not the type of top...

Back