Extract Session IPA/hoppy pale ale: critique my recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inflictor-of-grimness

Reaction score
I'm going for something hoppy with a somewhat low alcohol and light color.

Malt:
3 lb. extra light DME
3.15 lb. gold malt syrup (late addition)
8 oz. corn sugar
1 lb. briess caramel 10L (steep)

Hops:
1 oz. Warrior @60 min
.5oz. Centennial @10 min
1 oz. Chinook @10 min
.5 oz. Simcoe @10 min
.5 oz. Centennial @0 min
.5 oz. Simcoe @0 min
1 oz. Columbus @0 min
Dry hop:
1 oz. Columbus
1 oz. Simcoe

Hopville calculations:
71.9 IBU
OG: 1.050
7 SRM

I'm looking to get input specifically on any other steeping grains that might work, and on what yeast I should use to get a relatively dry beer and show off the hop flavor. Any ideas regarding malt and hops are welcome too. I'm a fairly new brewer, so I'm open to any suggestions.

That certainly will be a bitter brew--if that's what you're going for. I would back off the 60 minute additions to get the IBU/OG ratio closer to 1:1. If you are looking for a hop-forward beer I would keep your steeping grains to 1lb of either Crystal 20L or 40L. Maybe throw in 8oz of Munich or Victory for a little more malt complexity. Without knowing more about your person taste or goals, I'd say that this looks like a good start.

I want bitter, but maybe not quite as bitter as the current recipe says. I'll probably move the Centennial bittering addition to another 10 minute addition. After switching that in Hopville, I'm down to 72 IBU. Probably more reasonable.
And I forgot to specify, but the caramel malt I was going to use is 10L.

Back