Extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristopher

Reaction score
Going to put on an extract kit. Just the Cooper's type can, add water, brew enhancer and yeast. No boiling with this kit. Probably do an ale or a pilsner
( although I find they all pretty much taste the same).
With that being said I have an oz of citra pellet hops and an oz of cascade pellet hops. I was thinking of adding them just to add some flavour. Any suggestions when to add them, add both kinds? Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Good God, man! What have you been drinking that tastes all the same?
Variety is the spice of life and not all beers truly taste the same ... the trick is, you have to switch up yeasts and grain types once in awhile.
That said, switch out that Coopers yeast and spruce your recipe up with some grains. Steeping ain't that difficult, it's like making tea and adding it to your wort. It's the next step up from extract.

If I recall correctly, my first Coopers was pre-hopped. If you have Citra or Cascade on hand you're gonna have to add 'em in and boil the wort for the best results. There's a good bit of info online regarding hops but the best bet is to figure out what YOU like.

If I recall correctly, my first Coopers was pre-hopped. If you have Citra or Cascade on hand you're gonna have to add 'em in and boil the wort for the best results. There's a good bit of info online regarding hops but the best bet is to figure out what YOU like.

Not a good idea. If you boil it the bitterness from the new hops added to the bitterness of the pre-hopped extract the bitterness is going to go through the roof.

I would use the hops as a dry hop. After fermentation is done add the hops for 3-7 days then bottle it.

Not a good idea. If you boil it the bitterness from the new hops added to the bitterness of the pre-hopped extract the bitterness is going to go through the roof.

I would use the hops as a dry hop. After fermentation is done add the hops for 3-7 days then bottle it.

Agree 100%.
I believe the Coopers Classic American Light lager kit I got stated it had a rating of about 11 IBU for about 2 gallons of beer. That's "mild" for me, so I added a bit of extra 6.3AAU YCH Cascade and boiled the wort for about 15 minutes - but that's just me. Yeah, the wort caramelized a bit and it was a bit hoppier than normal, but turned out very good. Normally the directions say "no boil" but I wanted to add the Cascade as a lark.

I wasn't implying he should add Citra or Cascade to a pre-hopped extract. Those two hop varieties are very good additions and contribute a moderate amount of bittering/aroma by themselves.

Let your Cooper's kit ferment for a couple weeks, then add an ounce of either Citra or Cascade (or an ounce of both) and let the beer sit in the fermenter for another 5 to 7 days before bottling. If it tastes the same as the other beers you have had you have a problem.

Not a good idea.
I would use the hops as a dry hop.

Plus 1

Let your Cooper's kit ferment for a couple weeks, then add an ounce of either Citra or Cascade (or an ounce of both)

Plus 2

Dry hopping will add some flavor (mostly aroma) that will set your beer apart from other's you seem to feel all taste alike. You are kinda shooting in the dark here with the final outcome, but you really don't have much to lose by exbeerimenting.

I used a few of those pre-hopped LME kits way back in the 80's when there was not much variety of home brew supplies to choose from. Now days the supplies are plentiful giving you control over your process and your beers. I don't travel in the extract circles very often, but pre-hopped extract really limits your control of the entire process. You may find it more rewarding to use non-hopped extract, then add your favorite hop or hops combination to the boil to make it flavorful to your liking.

Another vote for dry hopping after primary fermentation winds down. I've got a Cooper's IPA in the fermenter 4 days now. In another 3 or 4 days I will dry hop with an oz of Cascade pellets.

Thanks for replies. I was leaning towards dry hopping after fermentation.
I have tried kits with steeping grains, and agree they are much better. I don't have much selection around here as my local shop is mainly a wine shop with just a few cans of extract.
As far as switching yeasts, would wine yeast make a difference? The only one they sell is the EC-11??.
When I made this before I always use the brew enhancer 2. Would anyone recommend otherwise?

Back