Extract in the Mini Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I started this question in another thread, which was an unintentional thread-jack, so I'm starting over here (sorry OP!).

It is sometimes recommended to put a pound or so of extract in your mini/partial mash, to increase the fermentability of that extract by exposing it to the mash enzymes. I like this idea, I've had problems getting my FG as low as I prefer in my extract / partial mash setup.

However, I know enzymes can be very particular beasts. I imagine that as the sugar concentration gets too high, it will affect their behavior, or simply interfere with the efficiency of extraction.

My question to the mashing gurus is this: how much extract can be worked with in a min or partial mash? I am thinking along the lines of 1.5 gallons mash, with a few pounds of grain. Thanks!

This is something I've never run across, but I suspect the extract is as converted as it will get.

I don't know if that would it would really help either. I would rather hold the extract use til after the mash. I would be concerned as well about whether the sugar concentration of the extract may impeed your grain efficiency.

Note that I am in no way, shape, or form, an expert in this area. It's just my gut talking.

Back