Extract GF Hoppy Pale Ale Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So, I have never brewed gluten free. I don't want to make a full 5 gallon batch. I was thinking of just 2.5 gallons. I do not have a recipe or don't think anyone makes a kit for a batch that size. All I know is that I am going to use Briess 3.3lbs of White Sorghum Syrup and US-05 yeast. I was just wondering if someone can help me figure out what other things I need. I understand buckwheat honey and rice solid syrups are used a lot. I hope that's right lol. I'm going to use whatever hops i have left over from other all grain batches of beer. Any and all suggestions for an extract recipe would be helpful. Thanks!

No, I'm afraid I'm a noob as well. I've only brewed 3 batches and 2 are yet to be ready to consume. The grapefruit IPA was my first attempt. Not bad, but definitely had that sorghum twang.

Hopefully others can point you (and me) to the better recipes...

You can really use anything gluten free. Keep it simple at first until you understand the brewing process better is my suggestion.

If your going to use sorghum you will need another sugar to increase your starting gravity. For ease of use I use Belgium candy syrups. Blonde all the way up to D-180. The higher the number the darker the beer will be. For a hoppy ale I would start out from the lightest and work your way up to your tastes. D-45 is pretty light to. To eleminate or greatly reduce the sorghum twang use clarity ferm at a pitch rate of 10ml per 5 gallons and this can be scaled back to 5 ml per 2.5 gallons. Just aerate wort and pitch clarity ferm and stir well prior to pitching yeast.

You can really use anything gluten free. Keep it simple at first until you understand the brewing process better is my suggestion.

If your going to use sorghum you will need another sugar to increase your starting gravity. For ease of use I use Belgium candy syrups. Blonde all the way up to D-180. The higher the number the darker the beer will be. For a hoppy ale I would start out from the lightest and work your way up to your tastes. D-45 is pretty light to. To eleminate or greatly reduce the sorghum twang use clarity ferm at a pitch rate of 10ml per 5 gallons and this can be scaled back to 5 ml per 2.5 gallons. Just aerate wort and pitch clarity ferm and stir well prior to pitching yeast.

thanks for the clarity ferm tip and i will do that.

Adding maltodextrine to sorghum syrup extract batches helps with the body/mouthfeel.
1/2 lb per 5 gal batch is a reasonable amount, some use more.

Adding maltodextrine to sorghum syrup extract batches helps with the body/mouthfeel.
1/2 lb per 5 gal batch is a reasonable amount, some use more.
thank you.

im going to use 3.3lb briess sorghum extract, simplicity candi syrup, honey, maltodextrin and clarity ferm

Back