Extract Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgorRVA

Reaction score
Newby here with a question, I am doing a 5g extract recipe and want to do a full boil. If recipe calls for a 60 min boil how much water do I use? Do I just start with surplus water and boil it down to 5g at the conclusion of the 60 min boil? Any advice we'll appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Newby here with a question, I am doing a 5g extract recipe and want to do a full boil. If recipe calls for a 60 min boil how much water do I use? Do I just start with surplus water and boil it down to 5g at the conclusion of the 60 min boil? Any advice we'll appreciated.

Yes you can generally start with 6ish gallons if you're unsure of how much you boil off in an hour. You should boil off a gallon an hour, more or less, depending on your location and how wide your pot is.

And if I am short after the boil what do I do? Just add water to make up for it?

And if I am short after the boil what do I do? Just add water to make up for it?

If you are short of 5 gallons to the fermentor just top off with clean cold water. Better than trying to estimate boil off and ending with to much volume. Boiling longer to get rid of extra volume can darken your beer.

I agree with, Flars. If you're making a five gallon batch and end up short after the boil. Add enough clean water to make your 5 gallon mark.

Is one gallon boil off per hour a good rule of thumb to go with?

The extract mfgrs. I have contacted say not to boil, as it will affect the flavor adversely. Are you using hops, or using hopped extract? I've done 12 batches in last year and never boil. When I hop, I isomerize the hop oils w/o the extract present with a small amt. of tartaric acid(pH about 5), heat for an hour, check the pH and if too low, add K2CO3, will later try a blend of Na+, K+, Ca++ ions.

Is one gallon boil off per hour a good rule of thumb to go with?

It depends. Everyone's setup is going to be different. For me, the first thing I did when I got a new pot was boil 5 gallons of water for an hour and see what my loss was. It was 1 gallon for me, so now I try to shoot for 6.5 gallons for my preboil volume. The extra half gallon is for the loss to trub, hops, etc when I rack to a keg.

If you don't want to waste gas on boiling water, then just make notes of what your volumes are pre/post boil and make the necessary adjustments on your next batch.

Northern brewer kit with hops x2, according to their instructions boil for 60 min.

Northern brewer kit with hops x2, according to their instructions boil for 60 min.

I LOVE Northern Brewer and their ingredients so you've got a good kit there. Adding half of the extract at flame out, and/or doing a full boil would make a good kit even better!

I just did my first brew ever and did 5.5 gallons because I did t know how much volume would be added from the kit. I lost 1 gallon and only added 1/2 gallon to primary. I was worried of a boil over but the Blichman burner kept it exactly at 212 degrees.

I just did my first brew ever and did 5.5 gallons because I did t know how much volume would be added from the kit. I lost 1 gallon and only added 1/2 gallon to primary. I was worried of a boil over but the Blichman burner kept it exactly at 212 degrees.

water at over 212 is steam, that is why it stayed at 212, the steam you lost was what was over 212

anyway, all systems lose different rates of water, so you have to figure out yours, and adding water is not just something hobbyist do, it is not uncommon for a brewer to have to top off a batch.

Latest posts

Back