Extract Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80/-

Reaction score
Hi all - first post so be gentle !

I've just started an extract cider this weekend - the instructions stated that the kit should be mixed with sugar up to 4gallons and then after 5 days, that the wort should be topped up to 5 gallons with water.

I was wondering if I topped up with a gallon of pure apple juice, instead of water, if this would help to keep the cider more apple tasting ?

Any thoughts ?

Okay - I'll take the deafening lack of response as a "don't know" !

I bought two litres of apple juice from the supermarket - just the normal tetrapack stuff and added it to the fermenting cider yesterday.

Fermentation is still going strong - cider certainly seems to ferment quicker than the beer I've brewed in the past - and has dropped from 1.052 to 1.010 and is still dropping.

I'll give it another week to ferment out and then transfer to a secondary for a couple more days - once its settled in the secondary for a while its into bottles, a couple of days in the warm to carbonate and then off to the garage for 3 months maturing (assuming I can resist the temptation that long!)

Slainte !

80/-

Never brewed a cider, but that sounds harmless, and preferable to water. I don't know that it can be called a wort, though. (Well, it CAN be called anything you want...) Not being picky, but I'm curious as to what it is called...a mead before yeast is a "must", a beer "wort".....

Yeah - I didn't think that the usual beer terms were applicable either, but stuck with them as at least people will be able to work out what I'm talking about.

Now that I think about it, I recon your suggestion of must is one i've seen used - but the online dictionaries suggest this is really meant to relate to unfermented grape juice.

This page http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/cider.htm just calls it juice.

Juice is good enough for me !

80/-

Back