Extract Cans. How old is too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortHog1242

Reaction score
Some one just gave me a Coopers Homebrew kit . Along with it came two cans of extract...best used by 2007 and 2008. Are they useless, and just toss them out, or give them a shot?
Thanks

I'd give them a shot. Keep the recipe simple in case it doesn't turn out OK. I've used older and had good results.

Oldest ones I've used were 8 years out of date. Not saying they were great, but the guy I was brewing with enjoyed them.

well, I just brewed a beer with 10 year old extract that came in a bag (it was liquid malt extract)

Others have had bad experiences with old extract though.

I would say might as well use it, it doesn't cost you anything if it doesn't taste any good.

If nothing else, it would be a good practice batch to get your process down before you spend your money on ingredients. If it does come out tasting horrible though, the extract could be to blame so don't let that put you off home brewing.

good luck! :mug:

Well, the cans are vacuum sealed and airtight, so I'd say go ahead and use them. They're not ideal, but they'll work.

I'd say why not try them. Worst case the beer sux but hey you can at least get your first fermentation out of the way and learn the process. The yeast is is most likely expired so toss it and go buy a packet of dry ale yeast.

I took a bit of a haitus from 2001 to 2009. Had 5 cans of old LME left. Cans were bulged. Made a batch from 2 of the least bulged, threw the rest away - the beer was nasty (I still drank it, and didn't die).:tank:

If the cans are not bulged (spoiled), go ahead and use them, but I've read they will darken with age. The spoiled cans I used made a light pale ale recipe into a porter dark beer.

Lesson: DO NOT USED BULGED CANS! :cross:

Regards,

Dave

if the cans are not dented, not bulging, not rusted, seem to be airtight, you're probably going to be fine. the whole point of canning is to preserve indefinitely. brew in peace...

Bulged cans can indicate Botulism infection...definitely not something you want in your beer.

I have a bunch of those 6lb plastic jugs of LME from back when I was subscribed to Midwest's brew-of-the-month club, but didn't have enough time to brew. They're going on 2-3yrs old now. I brewed a porter last month with one of the 2yr old jugs that I'd kept refrigerated and it tastes a bit cidery, but is drinkable. I'm gonna use the rest exclusively for starters though, as I pressure-can those and can be sure of sterility and will be pouring off the beer from the yeast cake.

The yeast and hops are usually the most expensive part of the brew. IMO, it isn't worth it to make crappy beer. Just use it for starters.

The cans are OK if not bulged. However, it will give you a darker beer than advertised.

I've used 7 year old LME without any problems.

Latest posts

Back