extract brew with non-boiled water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue27343

Reaction score
Hey I just tried a pre-hopped extract with distilled water, but used non boiled distilled water that was heated in an espresso maker to dissolve the extract... do you guys think this will somehow adversely effect my brew?

I dont believe the brewferm instructions specifically say to use boiled water, but any comments?

If the distilled water is right from a container (e.g Poland Spring, etc.) you're probably fine. I use botled water to top off my fermenter after i do a partial boil.

If by some chance some bacteria had gotten into the distilled water, you may have some off-flavors in your beer or worse. It also depends on how hot you heated the water in the espresso maker. Perhaps that could have killed some bacteria as well.

Should be no problem but you run a slightly increased risk of an infection.
Craig

Not only should you be fine, but let us know how it turns out with using distilled water. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to use distilled?

I have seen online and heard plenty of times that distilled water isn't much of a concern with extract brewing since you are just diluting your DME/LME. I haven't brewed with or tasted an extract made with distilled water to my recollection.

Back