Quantcast

Extract Boulevard Tank 7 Clone

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mbay

Reaction score
After much research and converting and then adapting to what was in stock at the brew store I have finally brewed a EXRACT Tank 7 Clone. Hope it comes out!
Farmhouse ale

Style: Saison
Type: Extract
Boil Size: 5 Gal
Batch Size: 5 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 05/10/2012
OG: 1.084 70deg.
FG:?
ABV: ? %
Serve Date: ?/?/2012

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 74.0°F 05/10/2012 05/24/2012
Secondary 14 days @ ?°F 05/24/2012 06/07/2012
Secondary DRY HOP 5 days @ ?°F 06/07/2012 06/12/2012
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ ?°F 06/12/2012 06/17/2012

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.66 lbs Wheat Flake steeped in 2gals H20 30min. Add 1 gal H20
6.00 lbs 63.64 % Briess DME Golden Light 60 mins 1.037
3.00 lbs 30.30 % Briess DME Bavarian Wheat 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.35 ozs (10g) Magnum 60 mins
0.50 ozs (14g) Nugget 20 mins
0.50 ozs (14g) Centennial 15 mins
1.00 ozs Amarillo 5 days

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.0 pkg French Saison Wyeast Labs 3711

Additions
(none)

Comments: After racking to the carboy the color was a darker, more caramel colored than expected. We’ll see how it clears up!

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Big fan of Tank 7. Excited to hear how it turns out.
What would you have done differently in the recipe if you weren't handcuffed by LHBS availability?

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
As far as the dme goes, I would say no. My limitations because of LHBS stock was with the varieties of hops available, that said I believe we made the correct substitution compatible to the Tank 7 recipe that Boulevard uses. We'll see! I rack to the second tomorrow, I just checked on it and it's staying around 74 deg. I did have to bring it to a upstairs closet for a warmer temp.

looneybomber

Reaction score
Why the 14days in secondary and then another 5days of dry hop? Why not just throw the hops in the primary, then bottle 5 days later?

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Simply put the All Grain version that I used to help formulate the Extract recipe had it that way. I will say this, if for nothing else to clear it up. In the primary it's very cloudy and a bunch of trub, more than any other beer I have made.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Raking to the secondary today, still really Carmel color. A lot trub. We'll see what happens in the second.

image-3144722075.jpg

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
OG 1.084 70deg.
Going into secondary at 1.012 at 72deg

image-683477245.jpg

Colonel_Forbin

Reaction score
This looks great. Big fan of Tank 7 too, I will be giving this a try soon. Cannot wait to hear how it turns out.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Dry hopping tomorrow! 5 days. Can't wait to try this beer.

dbals

Reaction score
Please keep us updated.... I'm interested in the results of using 3711 instead of Boulevard's house strain.

Dan B.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Here's an updated fact sheet. Comments and pics in a little bit. Open to any suggestions or comments for future batch! Thanks for subscribing guys!

Farmhouse ale

Style: Saison
Type: Extract
Boil Size: 5 Gal
Batch Size: 4 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 05/10/2012
OG: 1.084 70deg.
FG: 1.010 73deg.
ABW:8.1%
ABV: 10.4%
Serve Date: ?/?/2012

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 74.0°F 05/10/2012 05/24/2012
Secondary 14 days @ 75°F 05/24/2012 06/07/2012
Secondary DRY HOP 5 days @ 75°F 06/07/2012 06/12/2012
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ ?°F 06/12/2012 06/17/2012

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.66 lbs Wheat Flake steeped in 2gals H20 30min. Add 1 gal H20
6.00 lbs 63.64 % Briess DME Golden Light 60 mins 1.037
3.00 lbs 30.30 % Briess DME Bavarian Wheat 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.35 ozs (10g) Magnum 60 mins
0.50 ozs (14g) Nugget 20 mins
0.50 ozs (14g) Centennial 15 mins
1.00 ozs Amarillo 5 days

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.0 pkg French Saison Wyeast Labs 3711

Additions
(none)

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Comments:

Well as you may have noticed the batch size went down to 4 gal. I started to steep my grains loose in the water during the boil then run them through a strainer. I was finding that steeping in the bag, the middle of the grain bag would be dry. Because of this and the boiling of the wort I lost a gallon of water. I figured this out when I brewed a Honey Wheat the same way and I only had 4 gallons. Lesson learned!

The color is still darker than I expected. I tasted it before bottling; of course we all know that changes. Ummm a bit bitter, definitely get the grapefruit tones from the Amarillo hops. Again we’ll see how it is after conditioning.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Schumed said:
needs to be lighter to be a Tank 7 clone but looks nice and clear
Thanks and I totally agree. Hope the flavor profile works that's what really matters right.

Schumed

Reaction score
RiffMagnum said:
What is Boulevards house strain? Is it commercially available?
You could try to harvest some yeast with some dregs of boulevard they do bottle condition

doublebogey10

Reaction score
I've always thought their house yeast was something similar to wyeast Forbidden Fruit.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Not sure if that was it I-train, it's defiantly darker more carmel color. I think it has a heavy mouth feel, malty maybe. Friends and the one who matters the most, the wife, loves it. They say the flavor is exact. I don't think so you defiantly get the grapefruity hoppiness like Tank. Just wish it was more cleared out, crisper than it is but it has been a big hit and hey it's 10.5 abv it certainly does the job.
Thanks to everyone who followed the thread. Please post your recipe, comments, suggestions and happy brewing!

kevinb

Reaction score
You could try to harvest some yeast with some dregs of boulevard they do bottle condition
I conacted Boulevard about harvesting and this is what they told me:

Unfortunately, you won't be able to harvest the strain that we use for primary fermentation from any of our bottles. During our filtration process, we run the beer through a centrifuge which is going to eliminate any yeast that's left over after doing yeast blowouts on the tank. We then dose a completely different strain for bottle conditioning.

Beertime

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe today. This is an old thread but its the only tank 7 extract recipe I could find

grayhalladay

Reaction score
Starting this recipe saturday for Graduation. I think 5 gal. of this will easily help me and some fraternity brothers celebrate our send off to the real world.

kevinb

Reaction score
Starting this recipe saturday for Graduation. I think 5 gal. of this will easily help me and some fraternity brothers celebrate our send off to the real world.
Congrats and good luck with the real world.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Congrats to you and your buddies. Please post how it comes out. Anybody else who's brewed it also post. It was a hit at our house. Just got asked to brew it again. So many beers so little time.

OP
Mbay

Mbay

Reaction score
Beertime said:
I brewed this recipe today. This is an old thread but its the only tank 7 extract recipe I could find
How did yours turn out?

kevinb

Reaction score
Mine turned out pretty well. I did an all grain version and got more boil off tha I thought I would. My ABV was alomst 10%. Other than that, it was pretty good.

grayhalladay

Reaction score
Just finished brewing. Spring break starts next week so what a great time for me to not have to stare at a primary fermenter..

I'm a little nervous about this brew though, my LHBS was out of magnum and nugget hops. I substituted 1oz styrian for magnum and nugget and 1 oz. of centennial "likes" since we didn't have real ones. Not to mention they don't carry wyeast anything, which would have been nice to know, but I used 1 package of danstar belle saison and yeast nutrient..

Someone please tell me that things will be ok.

image.jpg

reed1911

Reaction score
I've made two batches of this, and still need to cut the wheat a bit as it has a much silkier mouthfeel and sweeter taste, but overall a great clone and I just cannot get past that damn yeast strain. I've brewed three others with it (dregs and re-colony) a cranberry wit and smoked amber. Heavy Heavy clove notes, but the taste is quite amazing.

grayhalladay

Reaction score
Congrats to you and your buddies. Please post how it comes out. Anybody else who's brewed it also post. It was a hit at our house. Just got asked to brew it again. So many beers so little time.
Just wanted to let everyone know it turned out really well for graduation. Big hit with my usual craft brew friends. herr is a pretty picture

20130512_184922.jpg

grayhalladay

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know it turned out really well for graduation. Big hit with my usual craft brew friends. herr is a pretty picture

bd2xu

Reaction score
grayhalladay said:
Just finished brewing. Spring break starts next week so what a great time for me to not have to stare at a primary fermenter..

I'm a little nervous about this brew though, my LHBS was out of magnum and nugget hops. I substituted 1oz styrian for magnum and nugget and 1 oz. of centennial "likes" since we didn't have real ones. Not to mention they don't carry wyeast anything, which would have been nice to know, but I used 1 package of danstar belle saison and yeast nutrient..

Someone please tell me that things will be ok.
How did this turn out with the Belle Saison? Just used it for the first time today