Extra Pale Premium Pilsner Malt is dark in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65C

Reaction score
I'm using some:

Weyermann® Extra Pale Premium Pilsner Malt

The ferment with US-05 and very small amount of torrified wheat is looking very dark - like a brown ale - I was expecting it to be much lighter - is that just because of the volume in the carboy and in a glass it will be lighter?

Technically not volume, it's the width or path length that makes it look darker.

It's related to a property called Beer's Law (really!)

Absorbance = Ex. Coefficient * path length * concentration

It will clear out over a couple weeks as the yeast drops from suspension. My blonde ale wort was golden brown but the "yeast storm" settled out. As it conditioned and aged in the bottle, I was surprised when it clarified even more to a beautiful golden hue.

SO-5 flocculates fairly well.
A few of my bottled amber bocks left over from winter look amazing after being aged a few months and refrigerated. That particular brew looks nothing like Shiner bock. Just before shutting down the boil, I threw in a Whirlfloc tab. Those things work!

What I didn't get was that usually use Maris and sometimes a bit of Pils - but this was my first all Pils and I was expecting it to be a lot lighter than the Maris - but it's either the same or darker in the carboy

Hard to get a grasp of color while in the fermenter. When you pull a gravity sample look at what a big difference between the hydrometer container and the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back