Extra Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking to brew something lighter for a change and have been shuffling over the notion of doing Extra Pale Ale. Anybody have an extract recipe they are fond of. Commercially an example would be something along the lines of an AleSmith X. I’ve searched the boards and didn't find to much input. Anyone have any thoughts or input?

I would steep .25 lb of a light crystal and make sure to do a late extract addition (around 10 min to the end of boil). Any American low AA hop will do. Use whirlfloc or t least irish moss for clarity.

What size is your boil kettle? A larger one (read full boil) will prevent malliard reactions which make the beer darker.

So a late addition of like 6lbs extra light dme and an ounce or so Willamette at the start of the boil, maybe some at the end for aroma? Sound viable?

Cascade is fruity whan used for aroma. Just use a little bit at the end like .25 oz should be enough. I'd cut back the dme to 4-5 lbs if sticking to extra pale ale. I think of rolling rock when i think extra pale ale. Low alc% and light body and color, and hopping. Those are big when I'm from in PA.

Back