Extra DME in Belgian Tripel extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancness

Reaction score
I bought an extra 1 lb of Extra Light DME from Northern Brewers in addition to their Belgian Tripel kit with WYeast 3787. I bought the DME to make a starter but I'm thinking of doing the following:

1. Do a full boil (5gal) instead of half (2.5). I'm thinking this will improve the final flavor profile.

2. Leaving out the candi sugar from the boil (1 lb). Instead, I will ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket and add the leftover DME (.75 lb - what I have left after having made my yeast starter) at day 2, then add the candi sugar at day 3.

I'm hoping this will do 3 things.

1. Allow the yeast to consume the harder sugars first, thus getting a more attenuated beer.

2. Improve the final abv of the beer by adding a little extra DME (prob 3/4 lb)

3. Prevent a blowoff (I don't have a blowoff hose) by feeding the yeasties slowly instead of all at once.

What do you all think? Will it work?

My question is how much water should I mix with the DME and candi sugar additions, and how much wort do I need to start with? I want 5 gallons of beer.

1. Allow the yeast to consume the harder sugars first, thus getting a more attenuated beer.
my understanding is that this works the opposite, that is, you save your "harder" to ferment sugars, like honey or fruit, until after the easier ones are fermented and add those in after the initial fermentation has subsided. Candi sugar, dme and wort are all going to be relatively "easy".
3. Prevent a blowoff (I don't have a blowoff hose) by feeding the yeasties slowly instead of all at once.
get a blow off tube.
My question is how much water should I mix with the DME and candi sugar additions, and how much wort do I need to start with? I want 5 gallons of beer.
I would try to boil the dme and candi sugar in as little water as possible, like around 2 cups and just make a 5 gallon batch. In my last staged fermentation, I added 4.5 pounds of caramelized honey and nearly filled my carboy to the top. The 1" blow off tube kept all the activity in the carboy.

Back