extra days in primary - a problem???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_guy_dave

Reaction score
I have a stout extract in primary (since 11/1). Gravity is stable and ferment is finished and has been for 2 days. i was going to bottle this eve, but my empties are buried behind a mound of food for the food bank. Will this hold a couple more days in primary??

Thanks in advance for the input.

Dave

its not gonna hurt. Stouts have alot of gunk in them so all that will happen is you will get continuous settling of proteins etc or atleast mine did. It wont hurt you though and if anything you will end up with a clearer beer.

You can leave it at least another two weeks before even beginning to worry about problems.

Thanks for the feedback. My first stout and I'm really excited about it. When it is out of primary, I might try a Gulden Draak clone kit (Austin Homebrew). Anyone ever tried this?

Dave

I leave ALL my beers in primary for a month..then bottle.

+1 My Dry Irish Stout was in for a month; das et ver gud! (sorry never took German) My lager has been in for a month, leaving it there till Christmas. I ferment in cornies, so if you are using carboy, make sure you air lock is clear of krausen and has a nice tight seal to prevent oxygen. The typical stuff- keep away from light, constant temperature, goodbyes and greetings when you leave and arrive home from work, etc (last step optional:).

I leave ALL my beers in primary for a month..then bottle.

The only reason I rack to a secondary is that I only have one 7 gallon ferment bucket for my primary. I'm going to remedy that this week hopefully!

Latest posts

Back