External Cleaning Copper Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

noduckla

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and the forum with only a couple of batches under my belt. The forum has been a wealth of knowledge and it is time to make my first post.

The homemade immersion chiller I recently acquired was not used in a while and has green tarnish on a few of the coils. Does anyone know of a good cleaner that will take care of the tarnish without leaving a residue that will not make me blind in the process?

Thanks!

Boulderbrewer

Reaction score
Boil it in some vinegar and water. A good soak in star san should clean it up too. Just remember to toss out the star san when you are done.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
+1 on the vinegar or starsan soak. both are acids and will eat the green patina off, if you have a stubborn spot use some steel wool on it.

illin8

Reaction score
Since an IC gets thrown in the boil at 15 mins, how important is it to have all the 'patina' off? I have some greenish tinge around my solder joints that won't scrub off, I just leave it as is. Is that a problem?

McKBrew

Reaction score
The green stuff is toxic. You should try to get it off.

springer

Reaction score
Since an IC gets thrown in the boil at 15 mins, how important is it to have all the 'patina' off? I have some greenish tinge around my solder joints that won't scrub off, I just leave it as is. Is that a problem?
try some emery cloth on it .

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Regular "tarnish" and discoloration is fine and will come off in the boil. BUT, anything with a greenish color you DON'T want dissolving in your acidic wort. As McKBrew said, it is some vile stuff that isn't considered healthy.

illin8

Reaction score
Wow...been scouring the forum for about a year and never even heard of this. Point taken, thanks!

BTW...what causes this greenish tarnish?

keelanfish

Reaction score
BTW...what causes this greenish tarnish?
Oxidation. I've found if I clean the chiller quickly after brewing and store in a dry place, that I don't have any problems. The copper dulls in between uses, but that dull patina is actually good.

kmk1012

Reaction score
Agreed on the vinegar and waer boil, you will be suprised at how shiny it will come out.

rhamilton

Reaction score
I stopped boiling my coil all together because of the effect on the finish. The coil soaks in an ice & starsan solution while the wort boils instead now. Results in a beautiful clean coil and really helps crash the temp just a little faster

natefrog255

Reaction score
How often should I should soak my wort chiller in vinegar or StarSan? I did initially before my first use but since it's submerged in my boil. So I usually just spray the chiller down and then put in boil. I don't want to over clean the wort chiller.

Reaction score
I keep a 5 gallon bucket of starsan on brew days. Usually while the boil is going on I let the chiller soak until Im ready to use it. After Im done I dunk it back in there basically just to give it a quick rinse. Then I repeat process next batch.