Extension for tip of autosiphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonemuzzle

Reaction score
Does anyone have ideas for something to put on the end of the autosiphon to keep the end a couple of inches off of the bottom of the bucket? I always leave the least couple inches in the fermenter when racking to bottling bucket.

I want to kick off the siphon and do other things while the fluid drains, but right now I have to hold it in place the entire time. I've tried a couple of those clamps that hold it to the edge of the bucket, but the siphon tube usually slides through the clamp while the wort is flowing, so I'd prefer something that the siphon simply rests on.

I'm picturing something like those little plastic tables that come in pizza boxes, but with a hole in the middle to fit the siphon tip into. The little legs would rest against the bottom and keep the siphon elevated. I might try carving a hole in one of those to tightly fit the tip, although I'm not a fan of having roughly cut plastic in the wort. I don't even like light scratches in plastic that touches wort. So something already better fit for purpose would be preferable.

An old friend called me up to hang out today. An old friend with a 3D printer. I described what I was thinking and he created this prototype. Fits like a glove. The cylinder portion is a bit long and I'd like the tines to be about an inch longer to stay well over the trub, but this is otherwise exactly what I had in mind.

So if anyone else finds this thread while trying to fulfill a similar need, then I hope that you have a 3D printer or like to whittle because this is what you need.

Siphon Stand.jpg

An old friend called me up to hang out today. An old friend with a 3D printer. I described what I was thinking and he created this prototype. Fits like a glove. The cylinder portion is a bit long and I'd like the tines to be about an inch longer to stay well over the trub, but this is otherwise exactly what I had in mind.

So if anyone else finds this thread while trying to fulfill a similar need, then I hope that you have a 3D printer or like to whittle because this is what you need.

View attachment 582172

That is awesome! We live in the future! Nice work! (or tell your friend nice work.. :) )

I wrapped a piece of copper wire around the racking cane with the end of the wire protruding past the tip to hold it off the bottom of the fermentor. That was way back in time when we bottled from the fermentor with a siphon.

The 3 D printed tip looks a lot nicer.

Last edited:
That is pretty interesting. I don't need one though. I bag my hops so the thickest trub I usually get is not deeper than the original tip. I end up tipping my fermenter to get more beer. What little gets into the bottling bucket remains on the bottom after all the bottles are filled.

Back