Extension Cord for Keezer - is there such thing as safe one to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extension cords themselves are not dangerous, but not using them correctly can be. Using under rated, damaged, or overloading extension cords by plugging in too many items in to them is what can lead to issues.
As long as the extension cord is rated to the right capacity of the service that you are trying to run through it there should be no issue. For your freezer pictured I would think that a 15 amp rated cord should be fine, but I am not an electrician.
Go to you local hardware store and pick up a new cord that is the right length and capacity for your use. If you are not sure what you are looking for, I am sure there will be someone that can help.
Then at home, dont split off of it and run your other fridge, the tv, and a microwave off of it. Straight from the wall to your freezer and you will be fine.

As an inspector . . . extension cords are not intended or approved for permanent use. People use them carelessly, placing them where they can be damaged, not properly calculating the load they serve and the effect the cord length has on voltage drop. The connection can be knocked apart accidentally. There are various other reasons no to do it but being humans and all we, including me, persist.

Without doing any calculations I’d say if the cord is 25 feet or less 14 gauge wire should be fine for up to 15 amps. One wants to be careful about voltage drop to a compressor motor. The connection between the extension cord and appliance cord is the weak link.

One could open the back of the freezer up and connect the extension cord wire directly to the appliance, effectively creating a long appliance cord and eliminating the “extension cord” connection. Again, wire size and length are the important factors to consider. Make sure to make a good connection of the new wires to the appliance. Poor connections = voltage drop.

For what it is worth you may be voiding the manufacturer’s warranty but any keezer modifications do that anyway.

Welder here not electrician but familiar with the stuff. A chest freezer uses about 500watts depending on size. 500watts/110v is 4.5amps. Good luck finding an extension cord that can't handle that. Go for it just be smart.

I've got a chest freezer below any extension cords that would be safe to use?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-10-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/8389389.p?skuId=8389389
I would use an extension cord with the same amp rating as the circuit breaker that protects the outlet that you are plugging into. In my house, the c/b's are pretty much all 15 A. Otherwise, as others have said, just keep the cord safe from damage etc. I have that same freezer in my keezer build on a 15 A extension cord, no issues.

Latest posts

Back