Extending DS18B20 wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_met

Reaction score
Perhaps an easy question, but couldn't find much on my initial searches.

The DS18B20 that I received in the mail has a small wire attached to it (1 meter). I'm assuming I can extend this with some initial wire. Is this a correct assumption? Also any special wire? Can use something inexpensive like an old telephone wire?

I'm just getting my feet wet with the Arduino/RPI, but figured I'd ask before I go to RadioShack to get a resistor, the sensor didn't come with one.

Thanks

Yes it can be extended without issue to about 15'. Beyond that I think you need to do something special (pull up resistors or something). I used CAT 5 cable. I believe Dallas recommends shielded cable.

You will need a pull up resistor regardless. You can extend that wire a long way. If you use a separate power wire you should be able to go many feet. The signal is digital so there is no noise in the data. Your only issue would be with multiple sensors and long runs. My 3 sensors are each on 12 foot shielded cables and no problems at all.

I did the same as pickles. Tore apart a cat5 cable and used the small wires inside. Longest wire is probably 10'. I tried telephone wire initially, but it is solid core and isn't malleable

Back