Extended ageing of Mead question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
So, I found out recently that I am going to be a Granddaddy!
I was thinking of what I could do to commemorate the event, and provide a “Legacy” for the little guy/girl. What I came up with was to brew up a sack Mead…. A real high gravity kind of thing, with tannins from steeping dead, dried oak leaves off the tree in my yard (I won’t brew until later this fall)… maybe even a bit of caramelized (read burnt) honey in there, (something that takes a good long while to age out) and giving it to my son with instructions to stick it in a closet and forget about it…. To be opened on my Grandchild’s 21st birthday. How is the best way to bottle such a thing? Wine bottles, corked and sealed with wax? Corked Single Malt Scots Whisky bottles sealed with wax? Plain old beer bottles? After all, it’s going to be in there a long time…..

For something like that I'd go for some unique looking wine bottles or scotch bottles cork it and wax it. Sounds like a GREAT idea.

I'd probably split the batch and bottle half with crown caps (with or without a wax seal) and I'd bottle the other half using the highest quality cork I could buy (Scott labs USS grade from Presque isle for example) and topping that with a wax seal. I'm not sure which method will have the best chance of suviving 21 years, but I'm betting that some of them will make it.

Medsen

thanks for the ideas guys...
odds are I won't be around to see how it turns out..... so I'll have to hang on to some to "sample" a bit sooner.........

Back