Explosive IPA W/Pics and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
So I have been having problems keeping my primary temps down and someone sugested placing an old t-shirt over my primary in a tub of water. Well it worked great and probably saved me from a huge mess! i came home last night at 4am very drunk to find this

Picture_003.jpg

Picture_004.jpg

Picture_005.jpg

Removed and cleaned airlock but did not have any sanitiser, so I soaked it in some 80 proof rum.
I know that a blow off is not normaly very prone to infection but with no sani and the nasty t-shirt it has me a little worried.
Thank god for the shirt or I would have had one heck of a mess! I just hope that the same shirt did not attract nasties to kill my beer.
Never had this happen before and I've done this recipe once already the only difference being using nottingham yeast for the first time and a lot more hops.
So what do you think will it still turn out like this

Picture_0021.jpg

Or should I be worried?

Relax dont worry have a home brew. With the amount of CO2 being given off by the yeast your beer is going to be fine as oxygen was not able to make it to the beer and with it, bacteria.

I recommend switching to a blow off hose instead of an airlock. Just get a piece of tubing the same size as the hole in the top and jam it in there. The other end goes in a bucket or pitcher with sanitizer in it to keep air from going back up the hose. Bucket catches all the blow off instead of your shirt

Back