Explosive Fun (Not... not really fun)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexvirital

Reaction score
Hey folks! Came home tonight to find the IPA i just started two days ago decided to repaint the inside of my kitchen closet :smack: I was doing primary fermentation for a 5-gallon batch in two 1-gal carboys and one 3-gal carboy. Didn't leave enough head space, and, well... it erupted. Science!

Judging by how "dry" some things were when I got home, my thinking is that it burst probably about six hours or so before I caught it. My question is this - are the blown carboys drinkable? They were in my closet which, despite being, you know, a closet - is a relatively clean environment (no pets or anything getting in there) but certainly not a sanitized space. Is this going to end up a poisonous or crappy brew, or is the stopper during primary fermentation just a case of "control which direction stuff spews, but don't worry so much about stuff getting back in"?

Thanks!

Did the lid totally fly off? If not you're probably OK.

Sent from my brewery while sitting on the John.

At high krausen you are fine. Lots of stuff being pushed out is a good sign for you

lol, it's always fun to come back to a mess. for the future. fermcap fermcap fermcap. I swear by the stuff and have NEVER had a blow out EVER.. and that's even with Saison strains and wyeast 3068 hefe strains which are known for wild fermentations

Back