Explosion-proof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppelin

Reaction score
Hi there,

Presently I do not intend to have any batches end up in many small bottles, but rather 1 or 2 larger bottles.

I am wondering whether there are any options for final bottling that ensure no explosions are possible due to priming sugar miscalculations or fermentation. As a novice in this hobby I am certainly going to make mistakes and I'd rather not have any dangerous accidents. Does anyone bottle into a large receptacle and leave an airlock on top just in case?

I know that plastic bottles also explode, but the main culprits seem to be glass bottles. A keg would be an ideal format for me, but kegs seem to have a lot of technical knowledge attached to them that I may not have time to fully research before my batches are ready.

Any information you might be able to provide would be great!

In general, glass is always going to present some type of hazard, and require some care to use safely. EZ-Cap bottles are pressure tested and provide a wider margin for you. Plus, they are available in 1 L sizes and they are … easy to cap. Only downside is you have to pay for them.

Back