Exploring No Sparge Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiths9312

Reaction score
I saw that Saccharomyces made a nice post regarding no sparge brewing, but I don't have all those nifty gadgets. My kit consists of a 7.5 gallon turky fryer, a rectangular mash cooler, and a few ale pails.

Would I be able to "no sparge" a five gallon batch? And if so, would it make my brew day more efficient?

Can you get your full pre-boil + grain absorption volume into the MLT? If so, you can no-sparge.

Mash as you always do and heat the balance of the water to whatever temp is needed to bring the MLT up to mashout. Once conversion is complete, dump the remainder of the water in, stir, vourlauf, and drain.

I have plenty of room in the MLT.

So I just add hot water to bring up to volume? It seems like you have to drain the same amount of wort, how much time does this usually save?

The other consideration is how you drain the mashtun. If you're using a pump, no sweat. I tried no sparge when I first went AG. The biggest issue I had was lifting the 10 gal mashtun, full to the brim, up high enough to gravity drain. I've switched to a batch sparge. Much easier on my creaky back.

So I just add hot water to bring up to volume? It seems like you have to drain the same amount of wort, how much time does this usually save?

Say you want 6 gal in the kettle pre-boil and the grist is 10 pounds. You'll loose 1.5 gal to grain absorption so you'll need 7.5 gallons into the MLT total. Assuming a fairly standard 1.5q/lb mash, you'd have 3.75 gal in the MLT initially, leaving another 3.75 gal to reach mashout temp with.

As for time savings, it's hard to say. I'd say minimal to zero if you previously fly sparged and obviously shorter than if you batched sparged multiple times.

Until coverting a keg very recently I used a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer for no sparge brewing (brew in a bag). I filled the turkey fryer with about 6 gallons and heated to my strike temp around 63C. Dumped grain in paint strainer bag, mashed at 60C and 70C, the times depended on style.

I held back 1.5 gallons and would add gradually when I started to boil. This would leave me with about 5.5 gallons post-boil.

This method works great. I've gone Full Volume-No sparge since converting the keg. This will without a doubt shorten your brew day.

Heat strike water 63C 20 minutes
Add grian mash at 60C 15minutes
Ramp up to 70C 45 minutes
Mash out 77C 10 minutes
Boil 60 minutes
Cool down 20 minutes
Clean up 30 minutes (At the longest)
Total Time 3 hours 20 minutes

Just calculate your temps based on your total volume vs lbs of grain.

The greater volume of water will lower the initial temp of the water to reach your rest.

Most software will calculate it right for you.

Back