Explain to me the difference between wheat malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumnerH

Reaction score
So I'm planning out a partial mash hefeweizen. I've heard (from EdWort and others) that red wheat is a great malt to use. Unfortunately, I don't have any and neither does the LHBS.

I do have pale wheat and caramel wheat.

1. What's the taste profile of red wheat? Caramel wheat?
2. Would I be better off using 1 lb each of pale wheat + caramel wheat (plus base malts, obviously), or skipping the caramel altogether?

I'm hoping to brew tomorrow, I have 1 lb each of pale and caramel on hand (along with plenty of pilsner malt and DME, and wheat DME).

At the moment I'm considering mashing 1 lb of each wheat with 1.5 lbs of pilsen and using wheat DME for the remainder of fermentables. Is that a really bad idea?

You can sometimes get red wheat from whichever grocery store has all the volvo's in the parking lot. You'll be headed back to the LHBS to use the grinder.

1.5# Pilsen in five gallons that is probably going to go around 1.040 is a right lot of wheat. I don't know weizen's well enough to say don't do it, but Mosher's American Wheat ale is only 44% wheat, his Garden of Wheat Bavarian Weizen is 49% wheat.

Like I said, not a style I brew much, but your possible recipe is so far over the top I suggest you make a test batch before you commit to five gallons.

ive made my wheat recipe twice now mashing
2# 6 row pale
2# pale wheat malt
1# flaked wheat.
3.3# wheat lme
ive not had any problems with it being over the to wheaty. i think that the extract is a lower percentage wheat. something like 35-40 maybe.

as far as the red/pale/carmel comparison? i have no idea. it will probibally have a darker color, maybe something like a wizenbock. i dunno try it out. just giving reassurance that it will be good beer if you use the 2# wheat and the pilsen.

You can sometimes get red wheat from whichever grocery store has all the volvo's in the parking lot. You'll be headed back to the LHBS to use the grinder.

1.5# Pilsen in five gallons that is probably going to go around 1.040 is a right lot of wheat. I don't know weizen's well enough to say don't do it, but Mosher's American Wheat ale is only 44% wheat, his Garden of Wheat Bavarian Weizen is 49% wheat.

The wheat DME is only about 60% wheat and 40% pale malt. I aim for 50/50 wheat/barley, so I'll probably use some pilsen DME as well If I only go with the pale wheat.

i think what you've proposed will work fine. it may not end up exactly like a bavarian hefe, but i bet it will be right tasty.

In Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher there's a HUGE tutorial about all of the kinds of wheat. I don't have the book with me but it's pretty massive.

Back