Expired Kit Just Bought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadoHawk

Reaction score
So I was maybe still tipsy when I went to the LBHS and bought a Coopers Draught kit not looking at the expired date (which turns out to have been back in November) and have since opened it.

What's the typical time lapse between packaging and the expiration date for Coopers kits?

What off flavors should I expect and should I just toss the yeast as it looks like it's been at room temperature all that time? I have a sachel of S-04 ready if it needs to replaced.

Also I can't seem to get the remaining krausen off my Better Bottle despite Ultimate Brewing Cleaner from Austin Homebrew....would a brush be ill-advisable since I think a slight pressure would finally get it off and hopefully not scour the carboy?

Nothing to do now but brew it. Yes I would use a different yeast for sure. As for the Better Bottle. take a light cotton shirt put about 5-6 cups of hot water and your UBC in the carboy, drop the shirt in the carboy to soak up the water, turn it over and swirl it around. It should come off. Shirt comes out fairly easy. I have had to do this a few times when I used to use Better bottles.
Cheers
Jay

Back