Expired beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
So, we're going through our pantry shelves and throwing out expired stuff, setting aside things we aren't going to eat to donate to the food bank and getting ready for the move.

We get to a back corner and I find three bottles of Mirror Pond. On the side at stamped "Best by March 2006".

So... should I or shouldn't I? :D

The plus is that it's been out off the light the whole time. The minus is that it's been exposed to 3 years of temperature swings between 50 and 95 degrees.

But I might have to crack one open. If it's good, I'll drink all three. If it's bad I'll give it to my friend that's always hounding me for beer. :D

Before I fell in love with hops I use to buy Sweetwater's 420 and Brown Ale expired. The hops faded but was still a very good beer. Oh how times change.

Someone told me that expired beer could gives a headache. I experienced that today when I accidently bought and drank a "best before 03/2008" lager.:mad: So just be careful..

Someone told me that expired beer could gives a headache. I experienced that today when I accidently bought and drank a "best before 03/2008" lager.:mad: So just be careful..

Expired beer can give you a headache. So can fresh beer.

I was drinking some kind of Xmas beer at at my in-laws a few years ago at a 12/24 party. Closer inspection of the bottle said that it was from two years prior. It said something like 2003 Christmas Ale in the label, but it was 2005. My father-in-law just laughed at me when I called him out on it. I still drank a half dozen though. They were delicious!

So obviously, I'd drink them immediately. Beer can't hurt you. Unless it's Ice House, which can and has hurt me severely.

Drink it!

A few years ago a beer store nearby me had a bunch of erdinger hefe that expired in 2005 (I think this was in 2006) on sale for like 6$ a 12-pack. Me and my buddies wound up buying almost every single 12er, it was great! Actually it was one of the beers that turned me on to good beer.

Of course, back then I had no idea what a hefeweizen was, or what it was supposed to taste like, and i LOVED blue moon...

my point is that the beer is gonna be awesome.:rockin:

There's plenty of beers I've had that were years old, but they were all bigger beers. Wasn't sure how Mirror Pond would handle the time and the temperature shifts. I'll throw one in the fridge when I get home tonight and try it in the next few days.

funny this comes up. i just bought 2 bottles of Cricket Hill Lager dated 2003 from a ****ty liquor store today. Also some old Turbodog and Yeungling Porter. I figured they'll all be either really good or really bad. Can't know until i try, right?

I say drink them sumbitches!

Drink them and let us know. Back before I started brewing I used to buy expired beer. I still do sometimes, but now I much prefer the hops taste in fresh beer.

I love the grocery store I go to. I just got some Three Philosophers they were selling at half price because "they were old". I got some Orval a few months ago the same way.

I love the grocery store I go to. I just got some Three Philosophers they were selling at half price because "they were old". I got some Orval a few months ago the same way.
i'd kill for old Orval!

To chime back in, i'm drinking the Cricket Hill East Coast Lager i found at the store. It was bottled in 2003 and i am enjoying it bigtime. It has a kind of vanilla-tobacco kind of quality to it and a touch of mild bitterness. Fresh East Coast Lager tastes NOTHING like this. It's quite good! I wish there was more of it. I'd go buy them out. :mug:

Ok friends, I tried.

I chilled one down for tonight. I popped it open. Smelled ok. Poured it out into a glass.

It was chunky.

CHUNKY.

I think the temp fluctuations were too much for it.

Latest posts

Back