Expired beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkrekkOgGru

Reaction score
About to begin second brew. I went for Muntons pilsener. which was on sale at an online site. However, it's expiry date is may 2011. They DID ship me completely fresh yeast, which I did not pay for, and I also ordered some extra hops (cascade).

Will this be any good?

Maybe if I steep some grain it'll taste fresh? Suggestions on which grain to steep?

Yeah, it will be fine. It's only a couple of months. AND they gave you fresh yeast. We have threads here with folks brewing year or more old canned kits with no issues.

They shouldn't do that, so you should be able to get a full refund including postage, which I would personally do. It's against the law to sell stuff out of date.

But then again, have you ever had anything in a can go off? If you're not fussed about the principle of the whole thing, I say go for it. Hell, kits are just Malt and Hops anyway, and they don't really go bad.

are there any grains included? If so pop a couple in your mouth. If they don't taste stale and you have fresh yeast then go for it.

Also, are we talking dry malt extract or liquid malt extract. I think dry has a much longer shelf life than liquid.

Back