Experts? Hef ferm/sec/cloudiness question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Shonuff

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
734
Reaction score
3
Location
Seattle
Help!

So I brewed a Hef and let it sit in the primary for 1 week. I moved it to the secondary and it's been in the secondary for 3 days.

I was reading that most Hef's don't get transferred to a secondary to keep the "cloudiness" in the beer.

So I have the bottles ready and the time to bottle tonight.

Should I bottle tonight? I would like to achieve that "cloudiness" that the good Hef's have. I've been told that if I leave it in the secondary for another 3-4 days the beer will taste fine but just be clearer.

My second question is should I siphon the trub along with my beer into my bottling bucket so I can achieve that "cloudiness"

Thanks for you help everyone. This place is the bomb!
 

Brakeman_Brewing

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
948
Reaction score
8
Depending on what type of yeast you used it will be cloudy enough after 10 days, especially a hefe yeast, so dont rack the trub.

As long as its done fermenting I would go ahead and bottle it, try it after a few days and it should be good to go.
 
OP
Shonuff

Shonuff

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
734
Reaction score
3
Location
Seattle
mr_stimey said:
Depending on what type of yeast you used it will be cloudy enough after 10 days, especially a hefe yeast, so dont rack the trub.

As long as its done fermenting I would go ahead and bottle it, try it after a few days and it should be good to go.

I used the White Labs Hef. Yeast in the vial.

From taking the OG and FG the beer is done fermenting.

I wish I could meet all of you and drink beers with you guys. Thanks
 

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
21,787
Reaction score
316
Location
Oakland, CA
i'd wait a little longer before bottling. if you only used the primary, i would wait at least two weeks. now, i'd probably still let it sit a week in secondary. it may clear a bit, but it'll still probably be plenty cloudy. next time don't use a secondary, just leave in primary 2-3 weeks.

i'd also leave them in the bottles at least two weeks before opening.
 
Top