Experment gone wrong...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, wish i'd taken pics but hey, hinsight is 20/20. I thought that tonight i'd add some of my apfelwein(sp?) to some warm milk before hitting the sack. I'd done this many time with mead and it's great for helping with the sleep department. But i digress, so here i am pouring my now warm milk (heated on the stove) into my awaiting wine and low and behold!

It curdles...

Twas a real bummer, was told it was because of the apples. So i got a little curious with my little accidental science experment and strained it into it's respective curds and whey. Decided to try some and low and behold!

It tastes like bread yeast...

Not even appley bread yeast...twas disgusting. But hey i learned something. So there you have it folks, don't mix apfelwein (sp?) with milk. Is no good.:(

Yeah, i'm kinda weird like that. I'll try just about anything even if its really off the ball. Not one for a 'traditional' way of drinking something. :tank:

Interesting experiment. Gross, but interesting.

Got me thinking that you're two steps into making fresh cheese. It goes like this: get milk. Pasteurize. Add acid (normal people use lemon juice, not apfelwein which was probably high in vitamin C (absorbic(sp?) acid) when it was just plain ol' juice). Let the milk lemon juice mixture curdle. Strain whey from curds.
Do something awesome with the curds.

The cheese forum will be more in depth and ... accurate. It's been a while since I've played with cheeze-smithing.

Oh hey, check your milk; I bet it's not ultra pasteurized or homogenized. That's the cheese maker's bane.

If you want to try the night cap idea again, get ultra pasteurized milk; it doesn't form curds very well when curdling agents are added (read: your apfelwein), and your idea might end up a tasty way to end the day.

Hehehe, i was actually going to try to make some cheese...

Just wasen't planing on doing it just then!
Actually i've discovered that i don't like apfelwein hot. I tried heating it up in pan on the stove with a cinnomon stick and i just tasted like bread dough again but with cinnamon. Don't know if i did something wrong with the wine or not. Had to add some honey in order to make it paletable(sp?)

Wierd. I did the same thing with milk and hibiscus tea, thinking it would taste and look pretty cool. It curdled in seconds.

I would say that it's the acidity, but when you say mead doesn't curdle the milk I have to wonder. I thought mead was as acidic as wine.

Back