Experimenting with all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
I am going to do some experimenting with all grain brews. Since I want to see how certain grains taste and how efficient my mashing is I have a few questions. 1) do I mash my specialty grains oe wait and steep? 2) I'm gonna do 21/2 gallon batches do I pitch half the yeast? And 3) I assume boil time and rest of process stay the same? 4) how do I get the correct mill on my grains, is there some sort of reference to size

I am going to do some experimenting with all grain brews. Since I want to see how certain grains taste and how efficient my mashing is I have a few questions. 1) do I mash my specialty grains oe wait and steep? 2) I'm gonna do 21/2 gallon batches do I pitch half the yeast? And 3) I assume boil time and rest of process stay the same? 4) how do I get the correct mill on my grains, is there some sort of reference to size

1. I would mash your specialty grains with your base grains.

2. Pitch yeast as normal, if you are using dry yeast pitch the whole pack. Saving dry yeast after the pack is open isn't ideal.

3. Boil is just like before.

4. Best bet is to get your own mill or get everything milled at the same place and mill. That way you can control that variable.

WDT said:
1. I would mash your specialty grains with your base grains.

2. Pitch yeast as normal, if you are using dry yeast pitch the whole pack. Saving dry yeast after the pack is open isn't ideal.

3. Boil is just like before.

4. Best bet is to get your own mill or get everything milled at the same place and mill. That way you can control that variable.

Thanks WDT,
I have a mill but I was told you can mill too fine and I will get pour-age. If not fine enough I will get poor efficiency from the grain. Is there a reference size?

I think I'm just gonna go look at a bag already milled and take my chances. This is what learning is all about I guess

I would include most specialty grains with the base malts in the mash. For very dark grains (e.g. roasted barley), I often wait and add them at the end of the mash period. For my stout recipe, I add roasted barley as I begin to vorlauf my mash. The idea is to reduce the bitterness/astringency that these grains can impart if they are in contact with the water for extended periods of time. I have no idea whether it works, but I see no harm because the grains still get plenty of time in contact with the water to impart flavor and color (I fly sparge).

if you use liquid yeast, a whole vial is actually closer to the proper pitch rate for 2.5g batches anyway (despite them saying it's enough for 5g). If you're using dry, you could get away with 1/4 of the yeast and perhaps store the rest in a sealed jar, but not for long. You could also rehydrate the entire pack, pitch 1/4 of it, and save the rest in the jar. You might want to vent the jar once after 24 hours and definitely refrigerate any yeast you store.

Back