Experiment with candi syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
Ive been reading some articles recently on older english ales and keep seeing references to candi syrup as an ingredient. I've got some simplicity that I plan on using in a tripel, now I want to see how a darker syrup plays out. I'm thinking of using D-45 and crafting a pale ale. Mostly using pale malt maybe some biscuit (or aromatic) and candi syrup. Thoughts from those experienced would be a tremendous help as would recipes. Thanks in advance

Ive been reading some articles recently on older english ales and keep seeing references to candi syrup as an ingredient. I've got some simplicity that I plan on using in a tripel, now I want to see how a darker syrup plays out. I'm thinking of using D-45 and crafting a pale ale. Mostly using pale malt maybe some biscuit (or aromatic) and candi syrup. Thoughts from those experienced would be a tremendous help as would recipes. Thanks in advance

Possible those recipes are referring to a caramel syrup used for coloring rather than flavor. I've seen them referred to as brewer's syrup, caramel syrup, brewing syrup, candy syrup, etc. Those products are still made for the same purpose but you don't really see them in HBS in the US.

You could use those D syrups instead but they are going to add a flavor component that's different from the coloring syrups. That's not necessarily bad but if you're trying to replicate older recipes you're not going to hit the mark that way.

You might want to check out Ron Pattinson's blog . He has a Let's Brew Wednesday post, which are rarely posted on Wednesdays, where they have "historic" recipes. Invert, in various degrees of color, are often included in the brews.

Back