Experiment: removing excess sulfur from my lager (maibock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjap52

Reaction score
I brewed a Maibock back in January and it's been lagering ever since for a good 5 months now, but it's still got a ton of sulfur to it. It was my first lager, so I'm not 100% sure what I did wrong to make it that way, however I heard that pushing it through some copper will help remove some of the sulfur.

I just pulled about 14 oz out of my keg and split that into two cups. One cup is just the Maibock, the other is Maibock with a new copper "T" fitting in there. I'm hoping that this will remove at least enough of the sulfur to where it will be drinkable, as right now it's like drinking good tasting alcoholic well water.

Probably going to let it sit for about an hour and post results. Does anyone have any experience doing this? From what I understand, it's common in wineries to push finished wine through some copper to remove sulfur. I'm hoping this has a similar result.

Cheers,
Marcus.

Back