Experiences with spunding valve (see photo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hey everyone I bought this spunding valve and can't seem to make it work right. It is marketed as an adjustable pressure relief valve.
There is a screw at the end (see photo) that I can turn outwards to relief tension from the in built spring.

I use it to ferment in kegs. After adding first dry hop addition I put this spunding valve and turned the screw end till I had about 7 psi pressure. Coming back the next day my pressure was beyond 15psi as far as the needle could go and I had to manually release pressure.

Anyone here as experiences with a similar device? Is it faulty or bad product?

Thanks alot!

You need to pressure down, if that's what not you did. Add som gas, turn the screw until it stops where you want.

But also. Those kind of PRV are highly inaccurate. I have two which are more or less the same, just without the ring, and I had to adjust them several times pr day until it was truly stable.

I put 15psi pressure on it then slowly turned the end till it stayed at 7psi then check several times that day and readjusted it back to 7 psi as pressure was climbing.
You might be right it seems indeed this is a very inaccurate valve :(

I put 15psi pressure on it then slowly turned the end till it stayed at 7psi then check several times that day and readjusted it back to 7 psi as pressure was climbing.
You might be right it seems indeed this is a very inaccurate valve :(

I did a simple mod to mine before I bought a "proper" one. If you touch the screw, sideways, does it let out gas? I could touch mine sideways and it would let out gas, this happens when you adjust it, it doesn't stay centered. I somewhat fixed it by adding thin teflon tape so it couldn't move sideways.

I definately noticed its very sensitive touching the ring a little bit will release pressure. Didnt notive any release by moving the screw part sideways though.

Do you mean wrap some plumbers tape around the screwing part?

And which valve do you consider a proper one?

Thanks!

I did a simple mod to mine before I bought a "proper" one. If you touch the screw, sideways, does it let out gas? I could touch mine sideways and it would let out gas, this happens when you adjust it, it doesn't stay centered. I somewhat fixed it by adding thin teflon tape so it couldn't move sideways.

Last edited:
I definately noticed its very sensitive touching it a little bit will release pressure.
Do you mean wrap some plumbers tape around the screwing part?

And which valve do you consider a proper one?

Thanks!

Yup, that fixed a lot.

I reached for the high shelf and got myself a Kellerfee. There are more reasonably priced options from Barby & Kuhner as well, but a far less expensive unit from somewhere else will probably work good too.

Thanks, those options you mentioned are looking a bit out of range for my small homebrew.
I dont need super accuracy but it would be nice if it would at least relief something.
It seemed like this thing just keeps everything under pressure. When I manually released after 1 night beer was spewing out because of too high psi.
Yup, that fixed a lot.

I reached for the high shelf and got myself a Kellerfee. There are more reasonably priced options from Barby & Kuhner as well, but a far less expensive unit from somewhere else will probably work good too.

Thanks, those options you mentioned are looking a bit out of range for my small homebrew.
I dont need super accuracy but it would be nice if it would at least relief something.
It seemed like this thing just keeps everything under pressure. When I manually released after 1 night beer was spewing out because of too high psi.

Yeah they are expensive, I got a used one off ebay Germany for half the price. Are you sure you haven't gotten any krausen or beer in it? I cleaned mine very thoroughly and used some oil or such on the spring and on the threads so it moves as easy as it can. (forgot to mention that earlier).

Back