Experiences with Oktoberfests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srm775

Reaction score
I brewed an oktoberfest/marzen awhile back and am currently lagering it now. I have about 1 more month of lagering but I just transferred it from a carboy to a keg and took a sample.

Though it wasn't fully carbonated, there was a very peculiar flavor of black licorice (anise). Has anyone ever gotten this type of flavoring from a marzen? Could it be contributed to not being lagered long enough?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

srm775 said:
I brewed an oktoberfest/marzen awhile back and am currently lagering it now. I have about 1 more month of lagering but I just transferred it from a carboy to a keg and took a sample.

Though it wasn't fully carbonated, there was a very peculiar flavor of black licorice (anise). Has anyone ever gotten this type of flavoring from a marzen? Could it be contributed to not being lagered long enough?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Anise flavor is not part of that beer's profile. Post your recipe and methodology.

BigEd said:
Anise flavor is not part of that beer's profile. Post your recipe and methodology.

Yeah I know, and it's such a distinctive flavor that without actually adding it, I'm not sure where it would come from. I've never heard of any yeasts, hops or malt giving that kind distinctive of a flavor.

Marzen recipe:

7 lbs 2-row (rahr)
2.5 lbs vienna
2.5 lbs munich
8 oz belgian cara-pils
8 oz crystal (40L)
8 oz biscuit

1 oz challenger (60 min)
1 oz spalt (45 min)
.5 oz tettnanger (30 min)
.5 oz tettnanger (15 min)
.5 oz hallertau (aroma)

Mashed for 90 min at 152F. Boiled 75 min. Brewferm lager yeast (two packets). Primary at 56-58F for 25 days. d-rest for 3 days. Lagered at 36F for about 5 weeks.

OG - 1.062
FG - 1.017

Back