Experiences with my first lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiafa

Reaction score
I made a lambic two months ago and pitched some Roeselare and Trapist High Gravity. The beer is now at 0.999 and quite sour. I would say it has 80% of the Rodenbach grand cru sourness.

I'm planning to transfer half of it on some sour cherries and the other on raspberries. Do you think is too soon for that?

The Roselare blend produce a beer more in line with a Flanders ale (e.g. Rodenbach, which is actually the source of the yeast in it)... not so much a lambic.

But yes, I'd consider it too soon.

I decided to transfer on the fruits anyway, as I want to use the wood chips that soaked in the beer in another one. Also, I have some raspberries bought yesterday that should be used Asap.

Unless you have to move it, why do it now. You are looking at at least a year until the beer is done.

The raspberries will keep very well in a freezer. The freezing process will help break down the cell walls.

You do know that if you transfer the oak, you will also transfer the bugs from the beer. If that is your intention, why not just transfer a small amount of the beer.

If you are looking for oak flavor from the oak chips, you are probably not going to get much. After 2 months they will be mostly done.

i don't have many sours in bottles, but two months is nothing. my plambic is 7 months old at this moment and i will probably bottle in december...

Back