Experience with syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUC

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody have experience with mixing cider with selfmade syrup?
I want to mix it with elderflower syrup and i don't know what ratio to use.
I just need a reference value. 10%? 20%?
Thx in advance

Hey, does anybody have experience with mixing cider with selfmade syrup?
I want to mix it with elderflower syrup and i don't know what ratio to use.
I just need a reference value. 10%? 20%?
Thx in advance

Why don't you bench test for the ratio? - I don't have a specific answer but my guess is that the answer will depend on what you are looking for and how flavor rich both the cider and the elderflower syrup are. You might use 100 ccs as your volume of cider and add 1, 5, 10, 20 ccs of syrup and see if you need to add more ... or if the sweet spot is between say 10 and 20 in which case you might take another set of 100 cc glasses of cider and add 12, 14, 16, and 18 ccs of syrup and see where the sweet spot lands.

Why don't you bench test for the ratio? - I don't have a specific answer but my guess is that the answer will depend on what you are looking for and how flavor rich both the cider and the elderflower syrup are. You might use 100 ccs as your volume of cider and add 1, 5, 10, 20 ccs of syrup and see if you need to add more ... or if the sweet spot is between say 10 and 20 in which case you might take another set of 100 cc glasses of cider and add 12, 14, 16, and 18 ccs of syrup and see where the sweet spot lands.

This

If you can determine the "sweet spot" then given the fact that you have used 100 ccs of cider and a known volume of syrup you simply use precisely the same ratio of syrup to cider for the full batch...(or if you have 5000 ccs of cider you multiply the volume of the syrup by - in this case , 50, if you have 10000 ccs of cider you multiply the volume of syrup by 100). Bingo! You are home and dry.

Not for brewing, but for jams.

Best answer is to taste it. Ignore the sweetness and hone in on the other elements. Start small (flowers are VERY potent), and add till you get the nuances you are looking for. (in this case, I say add to the total batch prior to brewing, and emphasize on starting small)

Flowers can quickly add bitter elements, so again, less is often more. Once you start tasting the floral notes (just a hint), stop.

This method I also prefer for home made extracts and syrups because there's far more variation than with store bought products. This batch of elderflower syrup may be stronger than the next, weaker than the one after that, etc...

Take a sample out and sweeten till your happy! Then measure the sg with a hydrometer the make the rest of batch the same.

Back