Experience with star anise and vanilla?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinn

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a winter porter. I'm leaning toward using star anise and vanilla. I ordered some cracked anise and vanilla extract from Penzey's Spices.

Does anyone have experience using star anise and vanilla together? Any suggestions on how much to use?

I'm hoping for a smooth and subtle black licorice taste. Thinking of adding some lactose to help with the creaminess.

Star anise is extremely powerful. I used 1.5 grams per 5 gallons on my last batch and people complained it was too much. Based on this experience I would recommend just 0.5 gram per 5 gallons for a smooth taste. That's 0.5 gram, not 0.5 ounce, which would be 28 times too much!

Vanilla is harder to screw up. One pod in 5 gallons should be enough. If using extract, try 1.5-2 teaspoons per 5 gallons.

For both of these (well unless you're using vanilla extract), I would make a tincture by soaking in vodka for a day or two, then add the flavored vodka to the finished beer immediately prior to bottling or kegging. Add just 1/3 or 1/2 at a time, until it tastes good. You don't want to overdo it and make it too powerful.

For lactose, I would suggest 1/2 pound per 5 gallons to add smoothness without being overly sweet. I would not use any more than 3/4 pound unless you love sugar.

Star anise is extremely powerful. I used 1.5 grams per 5 gallons on my last batch and people complained it was too much. Based on this experience I would recommend just 0.5 gram per 5 gallons for a smooth taste. That's 0.5 gram, not 0.5 ounce, which would be 28 times too much!

Vanilla is harder to screw up. One pod in 5 gallons should be enough. If using extract, try 1.5-2 teaspoons per 5 gallons.

For both of these (well unless you're using vanilla extract), I would make a tincture by soaking in vodka for a day or two, then add the flavored vodka to the finished beer immediately prior to bottling or kegging. Add just 1/3 or 1/2 at a time, until it tastes good. You don't want to overdo it and make it too powerful.

For lactose, I would suggest 1/2 pound per 5 gallons to add smoothness without being overly sweet. I would not use any more than 3/4 pound unless you love sugar.

Good tips. Thanks!

Well, I just actually read your post (sorry), and see you're looking for blk licorice. So yea, star anise might work for you. I have never used it in beer (that might be a lie,but can't remember), but do use it for oriental cooking. Yum!

I made a "Good N Plenty" beer earlier this year. It was a black ale with anise, licorice stick that also used lactose. I felt like it turned out pretty dang good, and got solid reviews from friends and family...well those that like black licorice anyway. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but if you are interested, I can get it to you to use as a base, or at least an idea. I bet vanilla added to it would have been nice.

I use regular aniseed in my distillates (specifically rums) and yes, a little goes a looooong way. Be very, very careful with it.

Vanilla, as mentioned, is very forgiving. It's a very mild and pleasant flavour and doesn't easily overpower. I use vanilla extract in my drinks as it provides a slight sweetness alongside the flavour as well.

EDIT: I've made a stout with a black liqorice stick in it that was also pretty good. The liqorice flavour was sublte, but present. You can also look into using liqorice root.

Star Anise, a very little goes a long, long way. Had to dump a batch of Tripel a couple years ago. Though that it would diminish in taste over time, nope. I love the taste, Just take on little pice in your mouth and it will last for hours. Good Luck Cheers

Back