Experience with Floating Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted_Giraffe

Reaction score
Yea... interesting topic in the scope of things :fro:

I was so excited for brewing this weekend with my new floating thermometer... third brew and learning as I go! I have been doing partial-mash extracts and didn't realize at my first brew a month ago that the 12 inch thermometer wouldn't reach the 2 gallons of mash water when clipped to the side, so I've been just manually sticking it in and letting it reach to the correct reading.

Happy me and the floating thermometer, and now I'm regretting it only because I am learning now what I should have known before.

1. I should have known that weight distribution was uneven, and therfore I cannot read the thermomoter by just looking in, but must take it out (the hash marks are face down otherwise).
  2. With only 2 gallons of water in the pot, the floating thermometer rests against the bottom of the pot and gives an incorrect (too hot) reading; I'm now afraid I mashed at 130-140 instead of 150.

I did an iodine test and it looks pretty well, but the edges are showing a hint of blue/purple, so I may sparge by tea-bagging it for 1/2 hour to an hour to get better conversion.

Thoughts? Is the extra sparge a good idea? Do I have a poor floating thermometer or are they all like this (would ideally like one that was weighted so it floats horizontal at any volume of water, with hash marks face up).

My iodine test, after the longer sparge, is still quite purple/black; what can I do to rectify this... mash longer? I am heating the mash/sparge now to boil, but I can stop if I should try to mash longer.

my advice: switch to a digital probe thermometer as soon as possible. ask for one for christmas.

after i went to all grain, my floating thermometer almost ruined a few of my batches. it was SLOW to give a reading, and it was sticking at 165 degrees without me knowing it. plus those things can shatter from heat shock.

once you get a digital probe thermometer, "WORT PROOF" IT !!! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remote-probe-thermometer-wort-proofing-26905/

my advice: switch to a digital probe thermometer as soon as possible. ask for one for christmas.

after i went to all grain, my floating thermometer almost ruined a few of my batches. it was SLOW to give a reading, and it was sticking at 165 degrees without me knowing it. plus those things can shatter from heat shock.

once you get a digital probe thermometer, "WORT PROOF" IT !!! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remote-probe-thermometer-wort-proofing-26905/

Thanks!

Will be on my Amazon list tomorrow :ban:

Best one for the $ imho.

41CPub1zBRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/RT301WA-Super-Fast-Digital-Thermometer-Approval/dp/B002GE9S8I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320546804&sr=8-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, its a very versatile thermo. You can check your mash temp, then dip it in your sparge water, then walk out back and stick it the brisket you have on the smoker. :)

Thank you, your order has been placed.
An e-mail confirmation has been sent to you.
Order Number: 104-8760275-6314623
1 item will be shipped to *me* by ThermoWorks. Estimated delivery: Nov. 10, 2011 - Nov. 16, 2011

:D

I actually took my floating thermomoter back to the LHBS. It responded too slowly and it wasn't very accurate. I use my Taylor digital probe thermometer and it reads in a couple seconds.

Back