Expected Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I've brewed a beer to blend at the bottling stage with another that is waiting in secondary. The one in secondary is likely to be too sweet due to too much crystal malts, so I've purposefully brewed the second batch without any crystal whatsoever. For this second batch I'm hoping to try and reach as low a final gravity as possible. My question is: how low can I expect to get based on what I've done?

Batch size: 6 gallons
Grain Bill: 10 lbs Marris Otter only, no other grains. (I also followed the hop schedule to match the original batch).
Mash temp: 146-147.
Mash time: 75 minutes
Boil time: 60 mins
Original Gravity: 1.054 (actual)
Yeast: safale US-05 (rehydrated, no starter)
Ferm Temp: 4 days at 66, 3 days at 70 so far (actual temps, not ambient)

It has fermented for 1 week.
Current gravity is 1.010.

I plugged these numbers into a calculator and it said my likely Final Gravity was 1.015, so I've already overshot that.

Can I likely expect it to go any lower thank it's current 1.010? I realize this might be guesswork, but perhaps more experienced brewers can give me a rough idea. If I could get this down somehow to around 1.006-1.008 I'd be pleased, but I think I'm unlikely to get that with this yeast. Thanks!

Back