Expected Final Gravities?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I've been fermenting my first two batches, and rather than incessantly take hydrometer readings I figure it won't hurt to ask the following questions:

What FG reading should I likely expect from these two different beers:

The first is a Munton's Pale Ale kit (6 USg). I added 500g of Light DME and 500g of Medium DME. I used Nottingham Ale yeast (rehydrated). So far it has fermented for 3 and a half weeks. The original gravity was 1040. I took a hydrometer reading on Saturday and it was 1010. Airlock activity seems to have almost completely stopped, but there still seems to be some pressure on the lid of the pale and the airlock gurgles less than once per minute.

The second is a Coopers Dark Ale kit (6 USg). I also added 500g of Medium DME and 500g of Dark DME. I used Nottingham Ale yeast (rehydrated). so far it has fermented for 2 and a half weeks. The original gravity was 1042. I took a hydrometer reading on Saturday and it was around 1010-1012. Airlock activity appears to have stopped completely.

Should I expect the gravity to drop further or is this about it? If this is about it then they are certainly a bit weaker than I expected (clocking at around 4% alcohol, whereas I was expecting something around 5-6%).

They have been fermenting on the cool side of the yeasts preferred range (ambient room temp of about 60F) so perhaps they're not done yet?

I don't recall either company suggesting a target FG in the instructions (which I've long tossed).

Any clues as to what I should expect the FG to clock in at?

Thanks!

60F is a couple degrees too cool for Cooper's ale yeast by my experiments. but both are in typical OG range for the gravities listed. Le them settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Back